Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 13th, 2012 14:00

XPS 15 screen auto brightness

Hi. I can't figure out how to disable auto brightness feature on my laptop. It's dell xps 15 with 1080p display. It happens on battery only, on every power plan. I don't mean the display dimming after a certain time, but it just goes from bright to dark. The darker the image, the darker the screen dimms and vice versa. I had another problem which was the colors going crazy when the sceen went back on after unplugging charger or waking it on battery (it all went down to what was like 256 color range). This problem was resolved after unchecking "Intel Display Power Saving Technology" in Dell Quick Set. Yet I can't get rid of the auto screen dimming which is extremely annoying. Has the laptop got an ambient light sensor or something? Please advise.

PS. I all seems like there's an ambient light sensor which is trigggered by the brightness of the screen itself and it shouldn't work like that.

June 13th, 2012 14:00

Hi

Welcome to Dell Community

These are some steps which you  can try and it'll surely reslove the concern you have.

Try this link:- http://tinyurl.com/7xmq599 

Image quality problems: e.g. too dark, too bright, etc.

Adjust the webcam settings — The Webcam Console provides a method of adjusting the camera settings. Right click the webcam Icon and select the "Launch Webcam Console". There is a Picture Controls section which allows the user to adjust Brightness, Contrast and Color setting. Clicking the "Reset" button to restore the webcam back to factory default setting. The "Advance" button provides further settings and preferences

It has the complete information how to disable and use all the feature related to Dell XPS-15 Laptop.

This will help you to resolve the concern about your laptop

Thanks

Kaushal

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 13th, 2012 15:00

1 Message

July 9th, 2014 13:00

I think the real problem is the adaptive brightness settings. This link talks about keyboard brightness but it tells you how to get to the adaptive brightness settings.  This was driving me crazy, as my screen kept changing brightness all the time:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19446623/20097405.aspx

I would crank up brightness under power settings to no avail. Once I turned off adaptive brightness, my screen jumped 20% in brightness and no more jumping back and forth in screen brightness.  I don't know how any engineer found jumping around in screen brightness was acceptable and how using the brightness controls and it doing nothing was an acceptable solution.

2 Posts

December 8th, 2014 18:00

Not sure what Dell advised you, but the only definitive solution to this problem is the following.

ranjan •  a few seconds ago

The only definitive solution to this problem (rather than disabling various options) is to go windows service and disable the sensor service.

Do the following:

1. Press "Windows Key + R" to open the command menu.
2. Type "services.msc" and press enter
3. Scroll through the list of services and look for "sensor monitoring service"
4. Permanently "Disable" the service.

The "sensor monitoring service" may be used for multiple sensors, but most Dell Laptops have a ambient light sensor that dynamically changes the screen contrast and brightness. This is the only sure way to disable it.

May 2nd, 2015 01:00

thank you!

2 Posts

July 22nd, 2015 12:00

I was having the same problem.  Found that if you go to Power Settings. Change Advanced Power Setting, you will see the following Power Options.  Scroll down and select "Display". Turn off  "Enable Adaptive Brightness" for both On Battery and Plugged in.  That should resolve the problem.

1 Message

September 11th, 2017 10:00

hi, the screen brightness is still changing for me even after doing this

No Events found!