Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 2nd, 2013 06:00

XPS 15 screen becomes white

when i switched on my xps15 laptop a white screen appears but my HDD light is blinking. why is this happening. Before 1 month also i got the same problem but when i switch off and on it , it becomes normal. but now for about 2 days i am only getting a white screen. please help me. all my hard work stays in my hard disk. so i need it as soon as possible.

October 2nd, 2013 06:00

Hi palanimpn,

We apologize for the inconvenience caused and Please follow the below mentioned steps to fix the issue.

1. Please shut down the computer, remove all the components connected to the computer and as nothing’s connected to the computer, press and hold power button for about a minute,
which will release the flea power.
2. Run the diagnostics on the computer by pressing the FN + Power button which will initiate the diagnostics and check if you notice the same white screen here.
3. Please capture any error message if any on the computer.
4. After the diagnostics were completed, please restart the computer and download the latest BIOS, Video drivers on the computer by clicking on the link below.
http://dell.to/1dFtXxL

5. Type in the Service tag, under Drivers and downloads select the BIOS and video drivers and download them accordingly.

6. After completing the installation, please restart the computer and check if that fixes the issue.

Reply us with your findings

5 Posts

October 2nd, 2013 11:00

Thank you for your advice but when i have to press the fn+power button, because when i pressed it my laptop gets switched off. And whether i have to remove my battery while holding the power button.

5 Posts

October 3rd, 2013 03:00

Hi Munawar,

When i pressed the fn+power button i am getting the same white screen but after 10 seconds i started to hear some beep sound.

October 3rd, 2013 03:00

Hi palanimpn,

Thank you for your response, in order to initiate the diagnostics you will have to shut the computer down and then keep pressing and holding the FN key and then power on the computer which will initiate the diagnostics on the computer and you will see the Pre- Boot System Assessment. As the test will run automatically, once the test is completed it will display an error if any or else all the tests will pass.
Please also install the BIOS, Video and Chipset drivers mentioned on the previous post.

Let us know if this helps.

7 Posts

October 3rd, 2013 04:00

Hi Munawar

I have similar problems with my alienware, the screen is flickering and I tried that long time ago, that does not work

October 3rd, 2013 09:00

Hi Lezlie701,

I’d be glad to assist you, If you’ve tried running the diagnostics on the computer by pressing the FN+ Power button and also tried updating the BIOS, Video and chipset drivers and it did not help then please try connecting an external monitor to your computer and check if the screen looks fine there and also check getting in Safe mode or in BIOS see if the screen flickers outside the operating system.

Please try these steps and let us know your findings.

October 3rd, 2013 09:00

Hi palanimpn,

Thank you for trying the steps mentioned previously and as you heard the beep sound the Diagnostics were running in the background and it looks like issue with the LCD screen. Please try connecting an external monitor to your computer and check if it works fine there and if the External monitor works fine then it might be the LCD screen's gone bad and needs replacement so please send us the Service tag of your computer on a private message, To send a private message, click on my user name and select send a Private Message and provide your service tag and contact information (as mentioned below) so that I may access your system records.

System Service Tag No:
Registered System Owner's Name:
Shipping address:
Telephone number/s:
Email address:

Please provide these information if the error still persists with your computer and we’ll see what best can be done.

7 Posts

October 3rd, 2013 22:00

Hi Munawar

thank you for your reply

I have tried new drivers long time ago, the screen still flickering. As you suggest, I tried to connect an external monitor, the screen is fine there. Is it a problem with my computer screen? By the way,  there is a strange thing, if I open the laptop and turn on it, the screen always be flickering and dim, and after that, I turn off it, close the monitor a little bit, then open the monitor, turn on the computer again, the screen is fine.

October 6th, 2013 08:00

Hi Lezlie701,

Thank you for your response, appreciate that you’ve tried all the steps mentioned and this usually happens if the LCD cable is loose you might try reseating the cable. Please click on the below link to find the Manuals for your computer and with the instructions you can try resetting the LCD cable and check the performance.
http://dell.to/1dFtXxL

Type in the Service tag, select option Manuals and download the manuals on your computer.

Please try this step and let us know your findings.

7 Posts

October 6th, 2013 08:00

Hi Munawar,

Thank you for your suggestion, but actually I got a laptop, not a desktop.

Best regards,

LC

October 7th, 2013 06:00

Hi Lezlie701

Thank you for your response, Since this is the Laptop computer and you’ve mentioned previously the screen flickering happens when opening and closing the laptop lids it might be the LCD cable is loose or not connected properly and in order to fix the same we had provided the manuals so you can open the laptop and reseat the LCD cable accordingly. In case you’re not comfortable doing the same and if your computer’s under warranty please provide us the Service tag of your computer on a private message so we can check your computer.
To send a private message, click on my user name and select send a Private Message and provide your service tag.

Let us know if this helps.

No Events found!