Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

18 Posts

February 6th, 2008 14:00

XPS 1530 Hard Drive and fan noise

Hi,

I have been reading the posts on this forum and in other review sites and some people think there is excessive noise from the hard drive on the laptop. I am interested to hear from existing users on what they think of the hard drive noise, and also if the cooling fans are too noisy.

Thanks a lot

Ally

18 Posts

February 6th, 2008 14:00

I should add add that I would be selecting the 200Gb SATA drive when I buy it

February 6th, 2008 15:00

Updated July 1 - Happy Canada Day

Lots you can do to make the HD more efficient, hence quiet.

1) Clean up your hard drive: Delete unneccessary files and programs e.g., outdated virus software, games you don't play, demos that have expired. Defrag your hard drive. Install SP1 if you haven't already.

After the install I run the SP1 cleaner, vsp1cln.exe. It trashes alot of old files and makes SP1 permanent e.g., can't uninstall it.

2) Install any hardware updates (drivers) offered by the manufacturer or Dell.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/my_systems_info/en/details?c=us&cs=rc956904&l=en&s=hied, Look for Drivers & Downloads under the Technical support area.

3) Update your BIOS if applicable. There's a BIOS setting that allows you to trade in a little less performance for a quieter drive - Performance section. As you may know you access the BIOS setup screen by pressing F2 immediately after restart.

4) Upgrade your HD firmware? Check your manufacturer's website for any firmware or utility updates; especially if they claim to make the HD quiet.

5) There's lots of unneccessary services running which may cause your hard drive to work harder. If you're willing to do a little research you'll find out what these are and how to turn them off. For example you can turn Aero off - the utility that gives you the 3D windows.

Alone, none of these are the solution but together they can make your system more efficient and cooler, hence quieter.

Good Luck

Message Edited by XPSM1530_owner on 07-01-2008 09:42 AM

56 Posts

February 6th, 2008 15:00

I received my XPSM1530 a couple weeks ago now and it is very quiet running. Hard drive runs some but to be expected with Vista. Runs warm also but not anymore than my other laptops. I think this is a great machine and find no fault in it. Well built and very classy looking.

6 Posts

February 6th, 2008 19:00

I just got my 1530, it's got the 200gb SATA drive.  It doens't seem to run excessively, it's much quieter and cooler than my wife's gateway tablet.  I have no complaints.

July 1st, 2008 03:00

Hi

I purchased my XPS 1530 in winter, My product has also noise issue.. the hard disk is constanty kicking and the sound is annoyin that i can not work with my labtop if the atmospher is silent.

Please if anyone has any sollution for this issue, share it with me

6 Posts

July 8th, 2008 13:00

Hi,

I have dell XPS 1530 with hard disk 120 GB 7200 RPM.There is noise issue in my hard disk.If anybody find any solution .Please let me know.

Thank you

No Events found!