Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 24th, 2011 01:00

XPS 1530 black screen, num lock blinking

Hi,
I have a dell xps 1530 for 3 years, no longer under warranty. Since yesterday I have a strange problem. When pressed the Power button, I hear sound from cd-rom, the screen is black and within seconds the only thing working is the hdd.

When I press FN + power button - num lock blinking, caps lock constantly lit and scroll lock lights up permanently.

If someone has the same problem let me share what is due. Thank you in advance for answers

February 1st, 2011 10:00

Try reseating the memory RAM.. It worked perfectly fine for me!!

7 Posts

February 4th, 2011 23:00

I have a dell XPS m1730 about 3 yrs old as well.  I am on my 3rd battery 2nd power pack which are both working fine for the moment.  I just replaced the lithium battery since my clock and bios would no longer hold.  The same thing happens when I hit the power button power led comes on disk drive engages for a moment and the hard drive accessing led lites momentarily then nothing except some fan noise if Iam lucky.  Funny thing by using the media direct button. after trying the power button on/off I can boot, sometimes I have to hit f12 go into bios and then exit and it will boot.  I have replaced the drives, reseated the memory, tried every diagnostic I could find from dell.  After spending $300 on parts and am thinking it is somehting with the motherboard.  Makes be sick..really took care of this laptop.   Dell is no help unless you pay them to trouble shooting or pay them for more warranty time when you can get somebody on the phone that speak english well enough so you can understand them.  With how much I spent on this thing I'll be helping myself to another brand of computers due to their lack of help a little help. I have reformated reinstalled BothVista and 7 got all the updates and bios.  Nothin has worked so far.  Let me know if you find out anything. 

7 Posts

February 6th, 2011 21:00

Alright I tried various reinstalls.  It has to be something with the Power button connection to the motherboard or the motherboard itself.  I found a possible work around.  Install the the OS without the media direct otherwise if it is already installed and you can get to windows somehow (otherwise reinstall the OS) go to  Start>mycomputer>right click>manage>disk management>format and delete the 3.0G partion for media direct and let the C: drive extend its partition.  Once you do this Media Direct will no longer load.  When you shut down the computer hit the power on but then power it off after 10 seconds.  Then hit the media direct button.  All you will see is a media direct screen.  hit space bar or esc a couple of times.  If the OS load sgreat other wise go into the boot sequence menu eixt and window should reload.  I tired starting with and without battery or CD drive connected.  I have tried various boot setups, but nothing else works.  At least I can still get windows to boot and use the computer, just have to boot it differently.  Hey it makes a great second desktop or paper wieght.  If any one find out about the internal cables coming loose off the mother board let me know and maybe I'll try to open up the case again.  

1 Message

May 7th, 2011 02:00

I have the same problem plus I have a dvd in my cd rom that I can't pop out. Have you fixed this problem and if so please tell me how?

7 Posts

May 10th, 2011 21:00

Using the media direct button my computer works fine.  I am glad I purchased the power pack for $149 from Dell, they have already had to replace it within 3 month ( under warranty $$).  Apparently there is a computer chip within the power packs that shorts and then the XPS is unable to tell what type of power pack you are using so in order to protect the battery it will not charge.  After I replaced the power pack the battery charged up fine.  I saved the old power pack and use it incase I have any boot issues.  Using a bad power pack the XPS loads up into something like a DOS screen which gives you the Boot options I mentioned.  I guess using the Media button will depend on how fried the mother board is on your computer.   As long as you can get to anytype of Boot menu you should be able to eject the CD.  Try different things as mentioned above.  Online at Dell I found the schematics I'll see if I can find a pin hole release for the CD Rom.  You certainly can make it any worse.  If all esle fails you could pull the drive and reimage it or run it in another machine or VM.  Fry's sells a dual USB hard drive case for less than $10. 

No Events found!