Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 29th, 2012 03:00

XPS 15Z(L511z) sleep-mode problem after Windows 8 upgrade

Hi guys, I've a problem. I've a XPS 15Z(L511z) upgraded to Windows 8 Pro 64-bit about 1 month ago. In that time I also updated the BIOS version from A06 to A12(I've also updated all the others available driver). The problem I'm experiencing is the sleep mode(stand-by). When I close the lid or send the pc in sleep mode from the desktop, I observe the following events: the screen turns off(it goes black until I move the mouse or touch the trackpad); I hear the noise of the hard disk equal to what it does during the mere initiation(I'm not a technical but I think it is the HDD head); sometimes the screen lights up without moving the mouse or touchpad(all this in less than 2 seconds after I send the pc in sleep mode). All that I've described happens at fairly regular intervals: 3/4 times the sleep mode is regular and then, for once, happens the issue; and so on. Where is the problem? Thanks in advance!

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

December 5th, 2012 15:00

Hi Josh11,

You will be unable to uninstall the chipset driver, you can only download and run it. You don’t have to install NVidia Stereoscopic 3D driver as this is included in the Video driver. In case you have not updated the NVidia driver, click on the link below to update it:

Video:  http://dell.to/Olefg0  

I request you to change the settings for Windows update. Check the options ‘Notify me’ for windows update and disable automatic update. Whenever there is Windows update for NVidia and Intel updates right click and disable it and update drivers from the support website if it is required.

2 Posts

September 23rd, 2013 03:00

this problem only occures when you put the laptop on sleep mode and it's not plugged in.

when the laptop sleeps in battery mode too long, it wakes up automatically and put by itself on hibernate.

after this procedury of waking up automatically you will face the sleep mode problem described by you, but only one time. 

48 Posts

September 23rd, 2013 04:00

Oh no JOK3RAS, the problem occurs(sometimes) also when plugged in. After much research I realized that the problem is related to the drivers. Even if the drivers updated for Win8 are present on Dell site, these are not really ready yet and perhaps it may never be ready(latest date back to 2012). 

Win8 had ​​changes for the sleep-mode(S3-S4 levels) compared to windows 7.

Regarding to your suggestion, this is a regular procedure and works well also for me  :)

My problem is that the laptop immediately wakes from sleep(sometimes) at the same time I close the lid. Many others have this problem also with different machines.

2 Posts

September 23rd, 2013 10:00

and you figured how to solve it somehow?

after some time i understood when it occures. if i let the laptop on sleep in battery mode, some kind of counter starts. after 1 or 2 hours it wakes up by itself and hibernate to save power. this process causes the sleep mode problem we experience, but only the first time after this process is repetead.

my solution is to put  the laptop always in hibernate or to shutdown it instead of sleep mode.

if you have a software solution please share it

48 Posts

September 23rd, 2013 11:00

I think only software engineers can solve this problem creating new BIOS and chipset drivers :emotion-9:

For the moment, I whenever check if the laptop go to sleep regularly(looking the intermittent white led). If this doesn't happen, I open again the lid and immediately close it.  A very annoying process, I know!

If in the future I will get a solution, I will share it with all :emotion-2:

I want to give you just a suggestion: don't waste your time with the advices you found around the web(change the settings of the power saving, format the system and reinstall all the drivers, uninstall certain softwares, ecc...). I have tried them all and I'm still here!

3 Posts

October 11th, 2013 17:00

This is exactly what I have to do sometimes to get my 15z (running Win8 64bit) to properly go to sleep.  It's very annoying.  I'm going to try hibernate instead.

48 Posts

October 12th, 2013 01:00

My dear friends, the truth is that the XPS 15z has been forgotten. Even models prior to 2010 received driver updates in 2013! http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19527245.aspx

48 Posts

October 26th, 2013 04:00

Windows 8.1 is here, no new drivers, same problems.

No Events found!