Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

June 29th, 2011 01:00

XPS 15Z trackpad never really shut down when using usb mouse

hi

i'm using either a usb or bluetooth mouse with my new XPS 15z, and i'm  getting tired of a problem...

the trackpad is impossible to shut down for good... i mean: indeed you can  disable it, turn it off, and even tell it to turn off when usb mouse is plugged, but it never really does, it always, always, always stays on for a second before shutting down...

in other words: my trackpad is disabled, both buttons and touch, and i use a bluetooth mouse. but even it is disabled, if i pass my fingers on it, the cursor moves for 1cm before shutting down... then i wait 2 minutes, and i pass my fingers on it again, and then again the cursor moves 1 cm before stopping moving.

so it is never really shut down, with the consequence i never can type text without my hand touching it and putting the cursor somewhere in the page and i have to put the cursor back to where it was,   

for example it happend 5 times when typing this very text....

please help

PS: i have updated the cypress trackpad drivers to last up to date version...

19 Posts

August 19th, 2011 07:00

Touchfreeze isn't working for me. any tips?

August 24th, 2011 23:00

When are we going to see the update for the Cypress Trackpad Problems????????

32 Posts

August 25th, 2011 00:00

yeah it's been two weeks now, we are getting tired of waiting... we want a working driver !

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

August 25th, 2011 08:00

So I just received word again from engineering, they are delaying the touchpad driver further for testing.  The new ETA is Sept 2. I will post again just prior to the driver being released.

TB

4 Posts

August 26th, 2011 15:00

Terry B, I use Ubuntu 11.04 on a new Vostro 3750 which has the exact same trackpad.  When will Dell create a trackpad driver that works on Ubuntu, or at the very least a decent BIOS that lets me turn it off there?

Or is the answer 'never' ... and instead of hoping for this I should take a more realistic approach and return this laptop -- and get one from another manufacturer instead??? 

Why we cannot disable the trackpad via the keyboard (independently from the OS software) or via our BIOS settings is beyond me.  It seems like a very foolish and short-sighted decision ... :(

8 Posts

August 28th, 2011 21:00

My trackpad just died out when i woke up. It isn't working.

97 Posts

August 29th, 2011 14:00

I wonder if my problem posted here:

en.community.dell.com/.../19928783.aspx

is related? I don't think so because I have tried simply stopping typing and eventually the window I was typing in becomes active again. I wouldn't expect that to happen with using the trackpad to reactivate the window.

Regardless, like others I simply cannot wait for a possible fix. I need to use this for work and currently the spontaneously deactivating window is making my typing too inefficient at work. I am initiating a return as soon as the customer service is back up online in a couple of hrs. I have been putting up with this for 3 wks hoping for a fix. I cannot wait any longer.

August 29th, 2011 18:00

I did a system restore, did all windows and dell updates before I did anything else and it seems to be working fine. You guys might want to try that and let me know how it went.

3 Posts

August 30th, 2011 06:00

@aras1: you can fix the "spontaneously deactivating window" when you uninstall Dell QuickSet. This problem appears to be unrelated to the touchpad.

32 Posts

August 30th, 2011 06:00

already tried but it was worst...

34 Posts

August 30th, 2011 07:00

As mentioned previously in this thread, try:

1. Uninstalling the Cypress driver

2. Reinstalling the old version ( support.us.dell.com/.../download.aspx )

If the issue is still there, also try:

3. Uninstalling Dell Quickset (you can run the installation file to uninstall)

4. Install TouchFreeze. It's free.  ( code.google.com/.../touchfreeze )

Good luck

32 Posts

August 30th, 2011 07:00

maybe dell could try this solution:

1. hire competent developpers.

2. sign for a hardware collaboration with trackpad producers only if their hardware actually works.

3. test hardware before selling it worldwide

3 Posts

August 30th, 2011 09:00

what happen to good old synaptic track-pad? Was this a horrible cost cutting strategy? Cypress needs to up their game because this is ruining Dell's reputation.  

9 Posts

August 30th, 2011 15:00

does anyone know how to go about returning this computer for a refund? Will Dell even do it after 30 days?

22 Posts

August 30th, 2011 15:00

Just call and tell them that you want to return the computer for a refund because you're tired of Dell neglecting this issue.

If they give you hard time, then you may think about organizing collective action against Dell. Looks like there are enough upset Dell customers right here on this forum who purchased this particular computer and observed their productivity plummet due to this issue.

I had the same issue, They sent me a new computer which had the same exact issue also. Upon installing the old driver, my issue was solved. Chances are if you're following the same procedure as we did, the issue should be "band-aid'ed" till Dell releases a new driver.

No Events found!