Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 10th, 2012 10:00

XPS 15z Ram Limitation

Why am I limited to 8gb of Ram? I'd like to purchase two 8gb sticks to have 16gb of ram. I plan on running several virtualized environments off of this laptop and will be using all 16gb of ram. Is this possible?

2 Posts

July 13th, 2012 11:00

Hi PDJACKSON,

It is very good to know that you are running your XPS15z with 16GB of RAM.

I too, would like to upgrade my XPS15z from 8GB to 16GB since I run multiple VM's with Oracle databases on it.

Could you kindly indicate a reliable source where I can purchase a pair of 8GB memory chips just like yours?

I appreciate your time and help

Regards 

Daniel

1 Message

August 3rd, 2012 02:00

upgrade to 16gb is possible. I have just upgraded my XPS15z today with G.Skill 2x8GB NON ECC @ 9-9-9-24.

both bios & windows have no problem with the ram either. I'm on A10 bios

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iet0ftp9iyoswx8/IMG_0856.JPG

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5f4tvqhk2gvpl3j/IMG_0857.JPG

1 Message

September 28th, 2012 15:00

I upgraded my DELL XPS 15z L511Z in the last week using:

Corsair 16GB (2X8GB) DDR3 1333MHz Laptop Memory Kit SO-DIMM CL9 1.5V

First I checked to make sure that the CPU can support it, being the i5-2430M in my case, which it does according to Intel (I'll take their word for it).  I also checked to see if anyone had tried.  A few others had already tried on this forum and succeeded so I gave it a go.  I can confirm that the system recognizes and uses the 16GB.

FYI I also stuck in a Samsung 256GB 830 SSD 'seeing as I had the case open' (and my wife didn't realise what she had agreed I would buy).  Windows Experience Index now sits at 6.6 ('limited' by 1GB GPU).  Total cost under £1,000.. "Eat my dirt" mac lovers!! (yeah, yeah, macbook pros look nicer... for  how much?).

September 30th, 2012 23:00

Hey yamahiko! My name is Martin, I am from Dothan, Alabama. I bought 9 months ago a XPS 15z just like yours with i7 processor. Sometimes I run hardcore software and it's really slow.

Can you take a look at the kit of RAM that I plan to buy and upgrade my computer. Please tell if it's similar to what you used.

www.amazon.com/.../ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Also if you have time to send me some screen pictures with your system please email me at <ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed per privacy policy>

Respect

Marin

1 Message

January 23rd, 2014 09:00

I'm using 2 modules KTD-L3B/8G from kingston.

http://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search?DeviceType=3&Mfr=DEL&Line=XPS&Model=73949

The system run smooth but I have a little of overheating, I thing that could be resolved with a SSD, the most part of the heat generated are from HDD.

Regards!

5 Posts

May 30th, 2014 06:00

Hi,

I'm confronting the same issue this days.

Can anyone confirm again that XPS 15Z  can work with 2X8GB=16GB sticks?

10'x!

5 Posts

May 30th, 2014 06:00

Hi,

I'm confronting the same issue this days.

Can anyone confirm again that XPS 15Z  can work with 2X8GB=16GB sticks?

Thanks!

12 Posts

January 28th, 2015 21:00

What really bothered me is that Dell is ignoring all these questions, and all these XPS customers.

This is a high-end, XPS-line machine, not a $200 machine.

Dell can easily test the XPS 15Z with 8GB sticks (for a total of 16GB), and let us know for sure if that works, and which specific RAM modules to buy.

I have seen quite a few claims saying the 16GB upgrade worked smoothly, but I'd like to see some screen captures. I trust, but I like to verify. I have not seen a single verification.

To Dell XPS Customer Service:

Please verify that the XPS 15z is in fact upgradeable to 16GB.

In the past I had abandoned Dell for nearly 15 years because customer service didn't care, and I returned when the XPS 15z was released, and with the hope that Dell's response to customers has gotten better.

I'll wait and see if it has!

Thanks.

5 Posts

January 29th, 2015 01:00

https://www.facebook.com/Dell/posts/10152525396106831

I have posted it on Dell's Facebook page.

Feel free to comment on my post or write a new post to encourage them to answer.

5 Posts

January 29th, 2015 01:00

[View:www.facebook.com/.../10152525396106831:550:0]

I have posted it on Dell's Facebook page.
Feel free to comment on my post or write a new post to encourage them to answer.

2 Posts

January 29th, 2015 03:00

Hi there,

Let me share with you my experience with my Dell XPS15Z, the machine I use on a daily basis and it is the one I am using to write this post.

Cosmetics - The biggest letdown in my opinion

My XPS15Z was the top spec with 256 SSD and is about 4 years old now.

I had to change the high resolution screen already due to the last one failing on me. When I replaced the LCD panel, I ended up trashing the mate trimming around the screen as it is all bent and will not stay in place anymore. It has proven not to be a problem as it is glued and it does not have any role in fixing anything. The screws are all in place underneath it. However, it does look ugly without the frame as bits of the LCD panel components can be seen.

All the chrome trimming has come out and all the holes are exposed making it not pleasant to the eye.

Functioning

I have been running my XPS15Z for 3 yeards with two 8GB memory chips in it and it works fantastically well. a total of 16GB. When I decided to buy the memory chips, I had no clue if it would work or not. However, it works well.

I load multiple VM's with Oracle Databases and Middleware at the same time and it surprises me every time. I always take care to make sure the SUM of RAM allocated to all the VM's running simultaneously does not use more than 85% of my available physical memory.

On the storage part, the SSD is still very fast and I use it to store the most critical files in terms of I/O performance and use an external 7200 RPM for the less performance critical files.

All in all, I never kept the same laptop for this long and to be honest... I have been thinking about switching to a MacBook Pro. However, I keep holding on that simply because my XPS15Z does not let me down. It chews every workload I throw at it and it does it with very acceptable performance.

I do not use it for gaming even though it has a dedicated GPU that probably never kicks in due to the kind of work I do.

The keyboard is great.

The sound is rubbish.

The touch pad gestures are ridiculous but it does work well as a simple touch pad. Please let me know if you have found a way to get the multi-finger gestures like scrolling to be smooth.

If your XPS15Z has the same spec as mine, I can ensure you that it will work absolutely fine with 16GB!.

I hope this humble post is of some help to you.

Kind Regards

Daniel Da Meda

12 Posts

January 29th, 2015 15:00

Thanks, but I got the usual FB large hand with the thumb wrapped in band-aid saying sorry but this page isn't available.

Someone must've removed it.

12 Posts

January 29th, 2015 16:00

Thanks ... Black tape from the kind you use on electric wires may help (around the screen) .. :) Some of these tapes are shiny too. Or maybe a sexier color would be nice! lol

Mine is still in like new condition.

It's an i7-2640M based machine (2.8/3.5 GHz), 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD, NVidia 525M with 2GB graphics, 512 GB Seagate 2.5" mirrored drive (as a mirror / backup to the SSD disk, on eSATA), and 2TB WD external, Metal, 10th anniversary edition, USB 3.0 for mobile storage.

I hate the touch pads on laptops, in general. I use a cordless mouse, and I use my leg/thigh as the mouse pad :)

If it is cold, I even put my hand and the mouse in my pants pocket and use it in my pocket :) .. Works very well too!

It's a shame that Dell is not bothering to answer the question.

They can add a disclaimer that the customer may upgrade at their own risk. I simply want them to verify the operation with 16GB RAM, and which RAM was tested.

I have no doubt that they have already done such testing. Why not publish the results?

I am fed up with their beating-around-the-bush replies.

12 Posts

January 29th, 2015 16:00

Thanks. I wrote a long reply on FB ...

[View:www.facebook.com/.../10152525396106831:550:0]

12 Posts

January 29th, 2015 17:00

It would be nice to see enough XPS 15z owners join hands and take this question straight to Mike Dell.

What do you think folks?

No Events found!