Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 4th, 2011 04:00

XPS 15z trackpad problems

Hi all,

I bought a Dell XPS 15z laptop last week. In general, as my previous XPS m1530, it is an excellent laptop, but my experience has been ruined so far because of the trackpad behaviour.

Reading some of the posts, I see several people are reporting various problems with the trackpad (interference with the screensaver and poor 2 and multi-finger responses). My major problem with the trackpad is that there is no way to completely disable it!!!

If the "Disable TrackPad when  external USB mouse is present" is selected, or even if the "disable" option in the trackpad settings is checked, the trackpad is never completely disabled:

Every 10 seconds or so, the trackpad comes back to life for a very short time before being disabled again. At first I thought I could live with it, but after a couple of days of usage I can tell you it is a nightmare having the cursor and even the windows jumping randomly whenever my thumbs touch the trackpad while typing. For instance, while writing this post I've had to use my external mouse three times so I can return the cursor to the appropriate typing position :(

I'm seriously considering using an external keyboard until this problem gets fixed. This problem is really annoying and it is spoiling my experience with what otherwise is an excellent laptop.

Cheers,
Andres

November 13th, 2011 18:00

I don't know what the newest drivers are, but when I tell the machine to search online for the latest drivers, it tells me that I have the latest drivers - and the issue is not resolved.  I have had some success with deleting the Cypress driver using the windows generic.  it does better but it doesn't completely resolve the issue.

Hopefully Dell and Cypress will get their act together....  I love my new 15Z but my old XPS M1530 trackpad is easier to use - by far!

I dont know whats going on with this thread, but the mods dont seem to like it when people say "delete the Cypress driver", I have had 2 posts removed.  I agree with JDRA, Delete the Cypress driver sortware, The laptop behaves itself then, cursor does not jump, its been noted before this isn't really a fix, more of an amputation, to an extent this is true, you lose all multi-touch functionality, but the laptop IS stable and trouble free once Cypress software is removed.

15 Posts

November 13th, 2011 18:00

I don't know what the newest drivers are, but when I tell the machine to search online for the latest drivers, it tells me that I have the latest drivers - and the issue is not resolved.  I have had some success with deleting the Cypress driver using the windows generic.  it does better but it doesn't completely resolve the issue.

Hopefully Dell and Cypress will get their act together....  I love my new 15Z but my old XPS M1530 trackpad is easier to use - by far!

64 Posts

November 14th, 2011 10:00

Bump Again. Waiting for an update form someone at Dell.

15 Posts

December 1st, 2011 06:00

The more I deal with this problem, the more I believe that the issue is hardware based rather than driver based.

Dell has been uncharacteristically quiet on this issue.  And I have seen nothing from cypress.

1 Message

December 1st, 2011 06:00

hmmm. I just uninstall the Cypress driver and still have the same problem. The cursor just suddenly jumps to the start button, or the close button in the upper right corner of the window.

December 4th, 2011 21:00

The new driver seems to have fixed the problems I've been having. Note that some people are still having problems so YMMV.

Oh yeah, new driver link as posted by Terry in another thread.

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

16 Posts

Thanks for posting, DarthElvis!

While still not perfect, the new driver is WAY better.  Scrolling works a lot more smoothly, with a lot less lag, and CPU utilization is way down.

What's sad is that the only place I've heard about the driver update is from here.  How many XPS 15z users are out there, frustrated, but not reading this thread?  Hopefully they push the driver update via Windows Update...

16 Posts

December 4th, 2011 22:00

Yeah, it's still not perfect, not by a long-shot... but at least it's usable now, and doesn't drain the CPU.

Yes, it needs to be a lot smother, a lot more responsive, and adding "momentum scrolling" would sure be nice.

But I'm not going to complain about finally having a trackpad that is useable without burning the CPU at 10% constantly.

I just hope they don't stop here.

64 Posts

December 4th, 2011 22:00

Lag and smoothness may be better.

But scrolling is far too jumpy. Too small a finger slide and it does not scroll at all. Move fingers further/ or faster and it scrolls too much. FInger movement inbetween and you may get lucky and get the intended scroll amount. Most of the time I scroll to read a news article, and this sensitivity is no good. Better off sliding down the page with the arrow keys or scroll bar.

(Also depends on the application as every application is configured to scroll differently.)

15 Posts

December 4th, 2011 23:00

Thanks for the link!  I just upgraded and the new driver cures (or seems to so far) most of the issues that I have been having with the cursor jumping around and leaving an active application.

Worthy of note - the release date in the driver download link shows 11/25/11 while driver itself shows 10/21/11.  To be sure, this is a minor point, but it also underscores the fact that Dell is behind on getting this out to the 15Z community. I sent another e-mail to dell support today in fact and support has not responded with other than the automatic response

Another note - This afternoon I did my daily check of the driver using the device manager and the check did not lead to this driver - thank goodness for this thread!.

15 Posts

December 5th, 2011 12:00

Upon further review, the latest driver, while it did make the problem better, it did not cure it.  The cursor will still randomly, and without command, leave where it is for some unknown place.  Indeed it is doing it now with increasing rapidity making it nearly impossible to type this.

2 Posts

December 10th, 2011 08:00

The solution I found is that you have to adjust your gesture settings if it is set to light than you will have continue to have this problem. Go to Control Panel, click on Mouse, then choose Cypress Trackpad click on the image it will open up another dialog box. Choose your desired settings make sure you change the gesture setting from light to about the middle or hard depending on how you touch your touchpad. Hope this helps.

March 21st, 2012 14:00

so i'm still having an issue with this trackpad, even after multiple driver updates and a bios update.   The window i'm in will lose focus and become deselected.  This is VERY frustrating when typing and browsing the web in general i'm ready to throw this thing across the room

15 Posts

March 21st, 2012 15:00

Some have had success with disabling the ambient light sensor.  I fixed my issue with loss of focus by removing Dell Quick Set

No Events found!