Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 25th, 2012 22:00

XPS 15z trackpad/touchpad problems. I'm at my wits end.

Good lord, I've had nothing but problems with the trackpad since I bought this laptop.  At first it was just terrible drivers.  I thought I had everything solved by using the XPS 13 drivers, and setting the following registry entries to 0: DisableTrackPadWhenKeyboardActive KeystrokeDesensitivityEnable

Everything seemed solved and worked the way I wanted it to.....for about a week.

This evening I came home from work, and the touchpad is unusable.  If I drag my finger across it, the mouse pointer is slightly delayed in moving across the screen.  Then, once I get the pointer where I want it, if I lift my finger off the touch pad, the pointer jumps an inch in a random direction.  It's like a cruel joke.

I have tap-to-click turned off.  I've tried to uninstall and reinstall the driver.  Previously, when I hated the driver that came with the laptop, I was able to uninstall it and use the default Windows 7 driver fairly well, the one thing I couldn't do was disable tap-to-click.  That's when I found the XPS 13 driver worked the way I wanted.  But now nothing I do helps.

Here's another symptom.  If I attempt to use the vertical edge scrolling while the cursor is in the textarea for this post, it actually outputs letters into the textarea.  So if I scroll up right now it produces this: bgbkmnpepppqdplke

I have no idea what's going on.  Whoever heard of vertical scrolling actually typing letters?

I've run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and my anti-virus software and found nothing. 

This is truly frustrating.

10 Posts

July 7th, 2012 23:00

Ok, sorry for the delay, I was away on vacation but I got this problem solved by calling Dell support.  They updated my bios which solved the touchpad craziness.  I then went back and installed the XPS 13z drivers, resetting the two registry entries, and things are back to normal.  

I don't know what happened though, or why the bios needed updating as the touchpad worked previously.  But at this point I'm not even going to try to understand it.

3.8K Posts

June 26th, 2012 02:00

Hi,

Welcome to the Community. I suggest you try and reseat your palmrest. Use the below link for help.

support.dell.com/.../palmrest.htm

If you have an active warranty, then I do not suggest you try this step. Instead send me a Private Message, click on my user name, add me as a friend, and send me your Service Tag, phone number and address.

Thank you

10 Posts

June 26th, 2012 18:00

I've sent the private message with the information you requested.

I just don't get how the trackpad could work flawlessly in the morning, then be unusable when I get home from work.  No one was using it.  Thought it had to be an automated windows or driver update of some kind, or even a virus, but system restore didn't fix it and anti-virus software didn't catch anything.  I'm bummed.  I was finally starting to feel good about my purchase, now I'm back to thinking about returning it. :(

No Events found!