Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 11th, 2012 08:00

XPS 17 3D (L702X) How to connect 5.1 speakers

Hi,

I have just received my new Pc and Logitech X-530 speakers but I cant work out how to connect up for surround sound.

With the green plug in the headphone socket I get stereo. But I have nowhere to put the other two plugs.

I have a S/PDIF socket and a HDMI one, which both apparently send out 5.1 sound, but how can I adapt and output to the three plug logitech system ?

I hope they are compatible as Dell proposes these speakers as an option with the PC. Do I need to buy a gadget ?

Thanks in advance for any replies

Redded

4.4K Posts

March 11th, 2012 19:00

This is taken from the setup manual for your system.
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xpsL702X/en/SG/sg_en.pdf

5 - Audio-out/Headphone connector — Connects to a pair of headphones or to a powered
speaker or sound system.

6- Headphone/digital S/PDIF combo connector — Connects to amplifiers, speakers, or
TVs for digital audio output. Can also be used to connect to a pair of headphones.

NOTE: You must use a S/PDIF (mini-TOSLINK) adapter to connect a S/PDIF cable. The
S/PDIF (mini-TOSLINK) adapter does not ship with your computer and must be purchased
separately.

7 - Audio-in/Microphone connector — Connects to a microphone or inputs signal for
use with audio programs.

You can set up 5.1 channel speakers by using the three audio connectors (5, 6, and 7) or by using the S/PDIF connector (6).

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 12th, 2012 08:00

I was a bit afraid of trying that, but wow, it works really well. The audio program is really inteligent.

When I do the sound test 5.1 nothing comes out of the Sub wooffer or the front speaker, but I've gone from stereo to Quadro and maybe when I have a DVD 5.1 handy, it'll work fine.

Thanks for the info

Redded

4.4K Posts

March 12th, 2012 23:00

Glad to help.

4 Posts

June 18th, 2012 07:00

I just got an XPS 17 and opted for Logitech Z506 5.1 surround sound speakers.

I was wondering how to connect them until I read this thread.

I have 2 questions -

1. Can someone explain the colour coding eg which colour lead goes to each of the ports?

2. Do I need to configure the middle port and if so how?

Thanks in advance for your help :emotion-5:

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

June 18th, 2012 08:00

The standard colors below -- don't know if that is what your speakers have.

Black = rear speaker

Green = center.

Yellow =front speaker

They should plug into:

rear speaker cable to the microphone jack. This one should be connected first.

center speaker's cable to the left headphone jack.

front speaker's cable to the right headphone jack.

4 Posts

June 18th, 2012 08:00

Thanks jimco.

Will the port configure itself automatically?

Slainte,

Paco99

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

June 18th, 2012 16:00

Will the port configure itself automatically?

Sorry for the delay -- just got home. On laptops with IDT audio when one plugs a speaker into the mic jack, a dialog box pops up. Not sure about Realtek. See this thread about an XPS L502x. Yours should work the same.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3517/t/19452313.aspx

4 Posts

June 19th, 2012 00:00

Thank you so very much jimco.

Everything is working perfectly now.

I intend to write a full guide for this to help other members.

Slainte,

Paco99

1 Message

June 19th, 2012 11:00

o

black = rear; orange = center; and green = front. This seems to be correct with the dell test and a mkv file I played.

Has anybody ever used/recommendations on "speaker properties - enhancements tab"? When I had my speakers hooked up - there was one for "Speaker Fill" as I understood it would create a virtual surround sound when needed.

4 Posts

June 21st, 2012 07:00

Thanks very much for your advise virgo.

The pic was very helpful.

Not sure about "speaker properties - enhancements tab" but I did need to change the settings in the sound card manager to 5.1 before connecting them.

No Events found!