Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 18th, 2013 15:00

XPS 17 L-701X not booting into OS

I have a XPS L-701X. It's been pretty much great since I bought it. Just this morning, I got to the computer (I usually leave it on) and the screen was black with a pointer cursor, and nothing else. The cursor moved, but there was no other signs of life. Powering the machine off then on, it brought up screens that there was a problem with the computer and it proceeded indicate that it was searching for solutions, then went into a screen indicating disk errors were being repaired - and that this might take over an hour to complete. After this screen would clear, the computer restarts, the black screen and cursor appears again, letting that cook for a while, the computer goes back into disk repair mode. Looping through this.

???

I'm running Win 8.1 Preview, and the Synapse touch pad and Nvidia drivers are versions beyond the final updates logged for the L-701X.

I can't get into the restore mode by pressing F8. I can't get into Safe Mode, either. I've looked at Microsoft's tech notes on this, and it seems that you can only access Safe Mode by restarting from the OS, which requires an operating OS.

I'm thinking it's a graphics driver crash. If I could get in somewhere to reinstall that, I might be fine. Just a guess.

Any thoughts?

I'm going to go and get drive enclosure, another hard drive, get the data off drive, and start rebuilding - unless I hear otherwise.

Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

September 18th, 2013 16:00

Hi tvr2500m,

The problem could be with the hardware or software of the system.

To confirm the hardware functionality, I would request you to run the Pre-Boot System Assessment (PSA / ePSA) Diagnostics to check the functionality of the hardware components installed in the system. Run the test and check if gives any error code. Note down the error code and update me with the same, would let you know the next course of action. 

You may also refer to this video on how to run the PSA Diagnostics: http://dell.to/1dMViiD

Please post the results.

22 Posts

September 18th, 2013 22:00

Thanks for your help. Ran the diagnostics. Stopped on the hard drive test with this message:

Error Code: 0146

Msg: Error Code: 2000-0146

Hard Drive 0

That's it.

Windows 8.x goes through the hard drive repair procedure, then tries to boot into the Os, then goes back into the cycle again.

What do I do about it?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

September 19th, 2013 19:00

Hi tvr2500m,

I request you to private message me the system Service tag, registered owner’s name, address and contact number.

To private message, click my Dell-user name and click “Send a Private Message”.

I will check what best can be done to assist you further.

No Events found!