Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 29th, 2012 06:00

XPS 17 L701x Emitting 3 Short Beeps

I spilled some wine on my laptop causing the current problem.

Dried it off as best I could but when I switch the laptop on it emits 3 constant short beeps.  The keyboard wasn't functioning properly so stripped it down again, cleaned it up and reconnected it.

As of now keyboard appears to be working properly and boots into windows and otherwise seems fine.

However, from a cold start the 3 beeps start and refuse to go away unless I reboot the system.  After a reboot there is no beeping!

I'm inclined to think it is a keyboard error but would welcome some further advice.

Thanks.

22 Posts

October 19th, 2012 18:00

Well 1 week on and still no issues.  Looks like replacement system board fixed the problems I was experiencing.

I still get error code 2000-0145 (hard drive 0 could not complete self test) but can only suggest that has something to do with my hard drive being a SSD.

3.8K Posts

April 30th, 2012 02:00

Hi,

Welcome to the Community. 3 beeps on a XPS L701X means a motherboard failure.

If you have an Active Accidental Coverage Warrranty, then send me a Private Message, click on my user name, add me as a friend, and send me your Service Tag, phone number, and address.

Thank you

Royan

22 Posts

May 3rd, 2012 01:00

Thanks for your reply.

Is it normal to POST and boot into windows with the 3 beeps?

3.8K Posts

May 3rd, 2012 01:00

Hi,

Yes I have seen systems able to boot to windows after a spill. However it may not be for too long. I suggest you back up your data, as long as you are able to boot to windows.

Thank you

Royan

22 Posts

May 3rd, 2012 02:00

Thanks again.  I've already backed data up so no problem there.  I don't have accidental damage unfortunately.

Guess I need to look around and find a replacement board!

22 Posts

October 9th, 2012 07:00

Well, it looks like my motherboard is dying a slow death but wanted to rule out cheaper options which double as upgrades!!

Recently system started to suffer from lock ups, BSODs, and unexplained shut downs although it would power off without going through a normal shut down. Although I thought an overheating issue, this would be when system was not stressed; for example it would happen at windows password screen or just browsing the web.

I bought a SSD and did a clean install without any dell bloatware. Seemed better but had 2 lock ups.

Although memory passes memtest86 and microsoft memory diagnostic test I've upgraded memory for 8GB kit. Can bad ram pass memory tests and cause symptoms I have described? Still awaiting delivery of new RAM.

Just bought and awaiting delivery of cooling pad.

If those measures don't correct the problem then replacement motherboard is next.

Any further thoughts?

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

October 9th, 2012 08:00

Hi uclown2002,

The problem could be with the hardware or software of the computer. Wait till you receive the new system thermal pads and new memory stick and get it installed in the computer.

Run the hardware diagnostics to check if there is any hardware problem. Follow the steps below to run hardware diagnostics.

1. Restart the computer.
  2. Keep tapping the F12 key on the Dell Logo Screen.
  3. From the One time boot menu select Diagnostics and Press Enter.
  4. It runs a test on all the hardware components.
  5. If it test fails please capture the error code and let me know the error code, I would tell you the next course of action.

In case the test passes, follow the next steps.

Check in Safe Mode with Networking.

1. Restart the computer.
  2. Keep tapping F8 on the Dell Logo Screen.
  3. Once the computer enters Advanced Boot Option, select Safe Mode with Networking.
  4. Press Enter.

Check if the computer is doing the same thing in safe mode with networking.

I would also suggest updating the BIOS to the latest version. Ensure that all the peripherals are disconnected from the computer. Only the keyboard, mouse, monitor and the power cable should be connected.
Follow the link mentioned below to update the BIOS to the latest version.
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/xps-17?driverId=R309735&osCode=W764&fileId=2731118657

Follow the below mentioned steps to update the BIOS:

1. Ensure to connect the AC Adapter to the computer and the battery charge is above 15%.
  2. Close all the open programs and make sure to save all the data in the computer.
  3. Run the previously downloaded BIOS setup file and follow the on-screen instructions to update the BIOS.
  4. Restart the computer when prompted.

Please post the results.

22 Posts

October 9th, 2012 08:00

Thanks for the prompt reply!!

I'm using the latest A10 bios.

I'd be surprised if it as a software issue as it is a clean install.  I do have a microsoft wireless mouse with latest drivers but I seem to recall having lock ups with a logitech wireless mouse.

I'll certainly run the diagnostic utility when I install cooling pad and new ram.

Thanks again.

Oh how long does full diagnostic take normally?

22 Posts

October 9th, 2012 09:00

OK I couldn't wait to run the diagnostic test!

Error code 0411-clock generator not deected

Error code 0145-hard drive 0 self test did not complete.

I do have brand new SSD hard drive inside though which must be relevant.

I will redo test when I get new bits but in the meantime do those error codes point to anything?

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

October 10th, 2012 07:00

Hi uclown2002,

The error code 0411 indicates that the device is not getting detected by the mother board (example : Hard drive, Graphics card, Clock generator, Memory module, Functional memory, Memory SPD, Touch Pad, Keyboard, Power button board, Media button board), 

The error code 0145 indicates Hard Drive self-test did not complete and to fix it power down system, disconnect and reconnect hard drive from System Board. Run complete Diagnostics, if no error occurs then it’s a cable/connector issue.

A full diagnostics might take 1-2 hours.

Please reply for any further help.

22 Posts

October 10th, 2012 08:00

Could either of those error codes explain the freezes and lock ups?  AS I said this is a new hard drive and it is firmly seated; the old hard drive exhibit same behaviour.

If so I guess I need a replacement board?

22 Posts

October 11th, 2012 06:00

OK I've installed cooling pad and new memory.  I've re-run dell diagnostics and both error codes still present themselves.

Error code 2000-0411-clock generator not deected

Error code 2000-0145-hard drive 0 self test did not complete.  (refitted hard drive 3 times)

Summary:-

Wine spillage 6 months ago, caused 3 beeps from a cold start.  No other issues so just rebooted to clear beeps.

Recently experiencing random lock-ups, unexplained power offs as if power cable and battery had been pulled.  Temps in speedfan seemed fine.  BSOD (just1).  These happened randomly, many times without system under and stress.  Shut downs seen at windows log in and also from sleep and hibernate mode and also within windows,

Replaced hard drive with SSD and same problems experienced.  Replaced ram and installed cooling pad today but system not been running too long.  Expect same problems.  Only thing left to do I guess is to replace mainboard.

22 Posts

October 11th, 2012 08:00

Thanks for all your help.

I've reseated the hard drive several times today and ran diagnostics with same results.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

October 11th, 2012 08:00

Hi uclown2002,

I must appreciate the ease with which you are handling this technical issue on your computer.

Yes you are right the problem could be with the connection on the motherboard. I can understand it can be annoying when the technical devices fail to work the way they are designed but before coming to a conclusion try reseating the hard drive on the motherboard and run the diagnostics once again and check.

22 Posts

October 11th, 2012 10:00

I'm using the latest A10 bios; could this be causing the problems?

Is it worth reflashing it or trying an older bios?

How would I do that?

No Events found!