Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 4th, 2016 18:00

XPS 17 L702X brand new Dell battery charges to only 90%

Hello,

I have a Dell XPS 17 L702X service tag .  I just bought a new 9-cell battery direct from Dell.  I installed it today, and it charged to only 90%.  Now it says "Plugged in, not charging."

I have tried unplugging the adapter from the machine and plugging it back in, and restarting the machine, with no success.

The last BIOS update for  was released in December 2013, so I know I am running the latest BIOS.

Any ideas?  Thanks.

Kevin B

38 Posts

November 5th, 2016 11:00

This sounds like a battery calibration issue. Try running the battery down until your laptop shuts off, then plug in the AC adapter and see if it charges to 100%.

November 4th, 2016 21:00

Have you tried checking inside the BIOS of the computer if the AC Adapter and the Battery is working fine? Also try to run some diagnostics to the computer.

2K Posts

November 5th, 2016 17:00

Hi Kevin B,

Are you using an original Dell OEM Adapter? When you plug in the adapter to the system, does the adapter stay firm or does it fall off easily? Is the adapter frayed? Is there any damage on the system? Could you test with another power adapter if possible?

Restart the system and press f2 key to enter BIOS - check the adapter status in BIOS with and without the adapter plugged in. Also, wiggle the adapter cable at the end and see if the status changes in BIOS at any point. 

Try running out the battery as per the other users response. Once done, connect the power adapter and check if it charges the battery or not.

If the adapter port is loose, then the adapter would not be recognized sometimes and the battery hence will not charge, then the dc port needs to be replaced - you would need this part - http://bit.ly/2epY7Yt

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your Name for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

No Events found!