Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 14th, 2011 15:00

XPS 17 with 3D crashing after waking from sleep mode.

I have a new Dell XPS 17 with 3D.  the laptop has been working perfectly until yesterday when I installed SP1 for Windows 7.  Now, every time the laptop awakes from sleep mode it crashes to a BSD (Blue Screen of Death) and performs a memory dump.  After a bit of time, the machine starts a cold reboot and I get the screen that asks what mode of windows I want to start in (ie: various safe modes or start normally).

Coming out of Hibernation doesn't have any issues, just waking from sleep mode causes the above problem.

If anyone has any "good" educated guesses on what to try, please don't hesitate to suggest them here.  I've tried the standard stuff, basically disabling all the eye candy (Facial Recogn, 3D, virus program, or anything else I thought might be causing it trouble).  Please remember, this machine ran perfectly until I installed the SP1 update for Windows 7.

2 Posts

May 14th, 2011 23:00

Hi,

Have you tried updating your drivers from the Nvidia Website?  I just recently installed Windows 7 SP1 (64-bit) (I don't have a Dell - but this seems to be more of an OS/Driver issue than brand of laptop issue) and I had to update the drivers from Nvidia (I never use the drivers from the manufacturer - they're never up-to-date).  You can even search for Beta drivers - but it sounds like a driver issue.  I'd also check for any BIOS updates on the support site to see if that will help.

3 Posts

May 17th, 2011 01:00

WTS a Dell 17.3 inch XPS with 3D, all the bells and whistles, SSD and 750gig HD's, 12 gig RAM, Blu-Ray drive.  Paid $3300, will let go for $2800.

3 Posts

May 17th, 2011 01:00

As much as I didn't want to do the driver update from NVIDIA, I did it anyway, but sad to say it didn't help my issue.  I knew I should have purchased an HP or Toshiba.

2 Posts

May 17th, 2011 09:00

I wouldn't give up hope just yet.  I'd stay far away from Toshiba & don't think that HP is all that better (I have one myself - HDX 18T).  But the reason why I recommended the driver update is because my laptop (non-dell) has an older Nvidia video card (roughly 2 - 3 generations old) and I just updated my Windows 7 to SP1 and I had some visual issues with my computer.  Once I re-installed the drivers from Nvidia - my issue went away.  Now I know that doesn't resolve the Hibernation Issue - but my feeling is that it's a driver (whether Windows or Nvidia) issue.

There is a new BIOS file that was just posted the other day (http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=R303519&SystemID=XPS_L702X&servicetag=&os=W764&osl=en&deviceid=27252&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=5&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=0&libid=1&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&source=-1&fileid=457282) - I'd say check it out and see what that does for you.  Also - check Windows Updates for any additional updates post Windows 7 SP1 to see if that will help.

I'm not a Dell advocate by any means - but if your system was working fine prior to installing Windows 7 SP1 (with regards to the Hibernation/Lid Close issue that is) and then it doesn't work after SP1 - it's a driver issue of some sort.

However - install that new BIOS and see if that helps :-)

No Events found!