Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

March 22nd, 2008 11:00

XPS 1710 - Heating Issue

Recently, I've been noticing the temperature levels of the memory, chipset, CPU and GPU rising to unsafe values during normal "day-to-day" operations on my XPS 1710.  I've peaked out at 63 F on the CPU, and much higher on the GPU; this causes

the laptop to render a BSOD and forces a hard reboot.

Both fans are operational, and my laptop is position on a flat desk on 15 degree incline so as to allow PLENTY of dispersal airflow. The laptop has been to Iraq and back and I did not experience this problem in that arguably

intolerable environment.  This is a recent issue that may require a component replacement before the mobo/gpu completely fries.

Needless to say, placing this on my lap would be akin to drinking coffee right out of the decanter after it 

has boiled. It would burn you.

Please advise. 

March 22nd, 2008 11:00

Additionally, the laptop has been blown out with canned air.

1.8K Posts

March 22nd, 2008 20:00

Are the fans working normally?  Have you tried some fan monitoring and/or control software to see what their condition is?  Have you opened the laptop and visually checked the heatsinks to make sure that they are not covered with dust, etc.?

268 Posts

March 22nd, 2008 22:00

63 degrees celsius is not abnormaly hot for a mobile CPU the maximum thermal temperature for Pentium mobile and core 2 due CPUs are 100 degrees celsius.

I would invenstigate defective RAM or another component as the problem. 

10 Posts

May 15th, 2008 21:00

I've had the exact same problem with my XPS M1710 and my nVidia Geforce 7900GTX video card.  I also took my laptop to Iraq for 15 months with no issues, and I've regularly removed the keyboard unit and blew the system out - along with the fans and cooling fins.  I recently blew up my video card - out of warranty of course...  I purchased a replacement card (used) and it's working like a champ.  However, I found some interesting issues while surfing the web.

Apparently Dell laptops (inspiron, latitude, and XPS models) have all experienced cooling fan activiation and speed-step issues.  Mine began after I upgraded my operating system to Windows Vista.  I'm not sure if that was the problem, but it was about the same time.  Even with the new video card and attached cooling unit, I noticed the fans would not kick into high unless I did it manually through the BIOS test.  After researching, I found a program called I8kfanGUI.  With it I can automatically (or manually) control the fan speed based on system temperatures - as well as monitor the 4 critical temperature thermistors (video, CPU, memory, and "chipset". 

I've since kept the GPU fan on high permanently and the processor fan on speed-step.  It operates fine through the software once Windows is loaded, but does not kick in until the system fully boots.  However, the video card still burns hot: around 54 deg C at idle, and up to 70 deg C during heavy applications - at room temperature.  It may be designed to run hot around 100 deg C as you've stated, but that's way too hot for extended use.  For this system it definitely requires more airflow, or even liquid cooling.  LC is hard to fit into a laptop, but it could easily be done with an external pumping unit.  The heat fins are connected to copper piping already - if they were coupled to a quick disconnect fitting on an external liquid cooling pump, it would solve all heat related issues.  This may be something Dell could develop, but until then...  Buy a small, strong fan or a laptop mat-style cooler (external fans).

I love my XPS, but if I burn out another video card, I'm going with Alienware next time.  You can find the fan monitor/control program at the following websites:

http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/

http://www.softsift.com/200701/i8kfangui-30-dell-notebook-fan-control-utility.html

Check it out, but be careful about your settings.  Take the time to get familiary with the program before you make any changes.  It's not difficult, and it has an easy graphical-user interface, but if you don't set it right, you can obviously overheat your computer if your temps are set to activate too high.

Eric

May 15th, 2008 22:00

I8kfan was a must for this laptop. But after taking apart the laptop to see what the matter was, I noticed some clogging in the inner fan mechanics and ducting. I've since removed that, and made a slight modification to the way air flows and it has helped drop overall temp by 7 degrees.

Now I have an NMI error. Love this machine, but it's a beast to take care of.

No Events found!