Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 5th, 2016 07:00

XPS 702 won't boot

OK, had issues with laptop since spilled a little liquid on it - think it affected the power button as everything else was dry but eventually noticed it wouldn't power on via the button - and of course no way to boot in other ways - I saw other posts about removing battery, holding power button for 30 seconds, reconnecting power and it powers on very briefly, DELL flashes up on screen and then it powers off.

I did have a fix where I took out the CMOS (as thought the battery was probably 6 years or older), powered on and it took me to the BIOS screen, and could boot from there. I'e been able to use the laotop for the last week by never shutting down - only sleeping as the lid sensor will get the computer to wake up. Everything about the laptop works when it's on - as long as I only sleep or choose reboot. Can't therefore hibernate or power off as no way to power on.

I've had a new power button switch arrive from an ebay seller, fitted this, tested reboot and sleep and light is working on the power button (old one was too), and so have eventually had the guts to power off the system totally to test the new button. 

Zilch - nada - dead,

Battery out, hold switch, connect power, it wakes up for about 2 seconds and then goes off. Can't even get to the bios menu or boot. Taking out the cmos worked last week but even this fix doesn't help me now. I've tried all combinations of battery in/out/cmos in/out / lead in/out and can get no further. also tried disconnecting power switch from m/b lead and no difference.

The weird thing is that it would reboot, when it was up and running windows, but not from hibernate or power off. I feel it was something to do with the power button because of this, but a new button hasn't worked.

HELP please!

Richard

2K Posts

November 5th, 2016 12:00

Hi Richard,

Any liquid spillage on the system, if it would have entered the motherboard, it could have very well damaged the circuits and could be the reason you are facing this issue.

When you press the power button, do you see any leds come on? Does the adapter led stay on and stable or does it go off when connected to the system?

At this point, I would suspect a motherboard failure.

You could choose to order the parts here as well - http://bit.ly/2f4Z8cv

You could contact our team to get a quote for a paid service call - http://dell.to/1vnT6CQ

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your Name for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

3 Posts

November 6th, 2016 03:00

OK, update - managed to get it to boot now by hitting f12 like a demented idiot on startup - takes me to the boot option and then I select my main drive - highlighted by default - and it boots fine. Can still restart fine but power button still inoperative.

When I press the power button - nothing happens when the laptop is off. Does nothing when the laptop is on, but the light on the power button is on and all other info lights work and cycle through when booting up.

Adapter LED on end of cable is on and stays on fine. I saw some comments saying that boot up issues could be caused by a dodgy / failing battery - could this be the case with mine? Or are thouse circumstances only when on battery alone?

R

2K Posts

November 6th, 2016 10:00

Hi RICHKIDDY,

Thank you for the update.

Well, kindly advise how did you manage to power on the system when the power button does not respond?

Once the system is powered on, does it not automatically boot into windows? Do you need to go through f12 boot options every time?

Disconnect the battery and check the battery life status by pressing the status button.

Also, you could check the battery health and battery life status in Windows notification area battery info.

Keep us updated.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

November 8th, 2016 09:00

Remove both memory modules.  Do you then hear a two-beep sequence when you try to power up?

3 Posts

November 8th, 2016 09:00

Hi, managed to power on as suggested by another fellow professional of yours in another thread by removing battery and inserting power lead into laptop, This starts the boot sequence.

As mentioned already, laptop starts for a couple of seconds and then powers off. f12 got me to the boot selection page. It's weird how I can select reboot and all is good, though can't hibernate or power off...

Battery indicator ( although a non del battery) shows all is well.

Richard

2K Posts

November 10th, 2016 16:00

Hi Richard,

Thank you for the update.

Have you tried the step as suggested by ejn63?

If you are stating that the system automatically powers when the adapter is connected with the battery disconnected, despite having the power button module replaced, I would suspect a faulty motherboard.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

No Events found!