Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 10th, 2017 10:00

XPS 9350 Plugged in but not charging

Had my XPS since January 2016 and all of a sudden my power adapter has stopped charging the battery. I can still use it when plugged in but it instantly dies when it is unplugged.

Is there any way to fix this?

6 Posts

May 10th, 2017 16:00

http://i.imgur.com/J39ANMg.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zNenMaJ.jpg

There has been 2 times in the last few days where it actually charges but after being unplugged and plugged back it just says "Plugged in, not charging"

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

The old battery indicator codes:

Excellent (new)

Normal (charges to around 90% or more),

Moderate (charges to around 80%)

Poor (charges, but only to around 50%)

Battery needs to be replaced (will not charge) 

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

It appears the battery has failed, and most likely needs to be replace with a new one. Just to be sure, I'd suggest you check status of the battery health and AC adapter in BIOS. If adapter isn't detected in BIOS, the system will continue to received power but will not charge the battery. Please follow steps below:

1. Power off system.

2. Power on system, quickly start tapping F2 key continuously. You should be in the BIOS.

In the BIOS, the battery health should be listed under main screen or battery information. The battery should say Excellent. The adapter should say the adapter type, if it says 'Unknown' or 'None', then it's a issue with the adapter, and most likely needs to replace with a Dell genuine adapter that suitable for the system. Note: Wiggle the adapter's end while checking it in the BIOS.

6 Posts

I get "AC Adapter = Unknown" and a message when I boot saying the AC wattage and type cannot be detected.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

How about the status of the AC adapter in the BIOS ? Please keep in mind,  If adapter isn't detected in BIOS, the system will continue to received power but will not charge the battery

6 Posts

I've checked in the BIOS and the battery health is excellent.

This is the third major issue I've had with Dell products in the past year and it's just getting infuriating.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

May 10th, 2017 17:00

It appears you have faulty adapter. Is the adapter the original that came with the computer or some type third party adapter ? Does the computer sits on a docking station ? If yes, try the troubleshooting steps in link below:

AC Adapter Errors or Battery not charging when docking ...

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

One more question. Is the dc port loose or the port where you insert the AC adapter into the system ?  .

6 Posts

I can wiggle the adapter around in a circular motion but it stays in place otherwise. It takes a small amount of force to remove it but it does not just fall out.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

I'd suggest contacting Technical Support in link below and ask for a free adapter replacement. Hopefully one of the Dell reps, here on the forum, see this thread and be a help to you.

Contact Information | Dell US

6 Posts

This is a replacement adapter provided by Dell and I do not use a docking station.

No Events found!