Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 22nd, 2017 09:00

XPS 9360 BIOS 1.3.7 killed the TB16 dock?

This morning I've upgraded my XPS 9360 to the latest available BIOS (1.3.7). Since the restart I've been experiencing serious issues with my TB16 dock. The USB devices connected via dock are being constantly turned on and off in short intervals which make impossible to operate a mouse, listen to the music (I have an external soundcard) or use a printer...

I thought it might have been some software issue, so I reseted BIOS to the factory defaults - no change. Then I actually reinstalled Windows from the scratch but it hasn't helped either. All my drivers are the latest versions...

Anyone experiences a similar issue with TB16? Can you suggest any resolution / workaround? It would be much appreciated!

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

July 22nd, 2017 14:00

I wish I could help but even though my 9365 also just got a Bios update, the TB16 seems to be working normally.  It seems the same folks don't work on both of these systems so it doesn't mean much that mine is normal.

I don't really understand what you mean my an external audio card, but have you tried removing other devices and concentrating on just one at a time?

There was an earlier thread where USB devices were disconnecting.  Not sure if that poster ever found a fix.  If it a Bios situation, you did recheck the Thunderbolt settings?

If there is anything I can check for you, let me know.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 23rd, 2017 05:00

Well, I spent several hours trying to overcome this issue with no effect.Those included:

• downgrading BIOS to 1.3.5
  • downgrading the ASmedia driver to previous version (1.16.41.3)
  • disabling OS feature allowing to power off USB hubs and devices
  • selectively connecting single devices to the dock

I've also tested connecting the devices directly to the laptop and they work perfectly, not a single isse happens. Surprisingly enough, the video signal delivered to my external display via TB16 has not been affected and I can get the expected 4K @60 Hz as before. Therefore, I believe the issue is related to USB controller only, as all 2.0 and 3.0 ports misbehave in the same way.

So, my best guess is that the dock has simply got broken and it coincided with the BIOS upgrade. I'm gonna place a support ticket with Dell and hopefully I'll have a dock replaced, as it's brand new - it hasn't been in my possession for a month yet!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 23rd, 2017 05:00

BTW, I found the mentioned thread, as it's exactly the same issue I'm having. No resolution has been provided there, though...

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

July 23rd, 2017 09:00

I have been trying to think why USB devices would disconnect.  One reason might be a disruption of the 5 Volt power supply.  I don't normally run a monitor through the dock but when I do I only have HD versions.

Any chance you could try no monitor or a lower resolution one?

Are you running your normal power adapter at the same time the Dock is connected?  My system uses common USB C ports for the power and Thunderbolt.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 23rd, 2017 11:00

Many thanks for this suggestion, Saltgrass. Unfortunately without the external display connected, my dock is also playing naughty with the uSB devices...

I've actually went to my office today as my work laptop is XPS 15 9550 and connected the dock to it. All the same unfortunately...

4 Posts

July 25th, 2017 10:00

Some problem with the USB ports in my WD15 after Bios update. It's definitely not your TB16.

My Problem Post

2 Posts

July 28th, 2017 11:00

I also have an XPS 9360 and experience the same problem after upgrading the BIOS to 1.3.7. I tried two TB16 under Linux and Windows.  Same behavior, except that the USB devices stay disconnected under Linux.

5 Posts

July 29th, 2017 06:00

HI,

I have the same problem after bios update 1.3.7 with me XPS 9360

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 31st, 2017 01:00

Just to supplement this thread - multiple users report TB16 USB problems after the 1.3.7 BIOS update in this thread as well.

@Dell - we're expecting you to look into this one instantly, it looks it's the BIOS issue!

4 Posts

July 31st, 2017 05:00

Wired or wireless, the USB seems to be the issue. My only solution is to plug into the laptop or, as I did, shell out extra money for a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. (Which works great)

The audio/mic jack works fine for my headset, and the Ethernet and HDMI have no issue. I am just happy I do not rely on a USB mic or webcam.

August 1st, 2017 10:00

I have similar issue, but less serious issue.

After BIOS update 1.3.7:

Keyboard / Mouse frequently hangs. It seems related to task managing as if I were wireless and lacking bandwith. If I listen to a video while at work, it happens every minute. If I close video, it happens less often.

But, I have been using the same setup since at least 5 months (XPS 9360, i7, 8gb, dual monitor, TB16) and never had any issue

If I plug USB peripheral direcly in laptop, the problem disappears.

So last week BIOS update and TB16 are not working fine.................. (those points are a clear exemple of what happens when usb keyboard hangs, I only pressed once)

Hope to have updates soon because I have other new laptops to deploy.

I tried uninstalling USB drivers, back-rolling to april drivers that worked fine etc, update everyting etc. Only the BIOS seems the problem

3 Posts

August 2nd, 2017 02:00

Hi,

A coworker and I are experiencing the same issue. We tried to downgrade to 1.3.5 but the issue is still present, it seems that the 1.3.7 update also updates the TB16 firmware with a broken one, but we can't downgrade it.

As of now, the TB16 dock barely usable, considering the numerous issues it have/had (usb, screens, ethernet, etc.)

I  advised my company to postpone the planned purchase of these docks.

August 3rd, 2017 11:00

Just updated all 3 drivers from TB16 Support page (August 2nd). Issue is still present (every 30 seconds, my USB mouse and keybnoard hang, WIRED).

I kept BIOS 1.3.7, so I will plug my USB devices directly on laptop a bit longer, still waiting for updated drivers.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

August 3rd, 2017 12:00

I thought I was the only one!  I just tried an XPS 13 9360 + TB16 recently while setting it up for a friend and my keyboard in particular would disappear and reappear frequently.  I thought it was because I had it connected through a hub that was connected to the TB16 and didn't bother looking into it more since I was only using it long enough to set everything up, but evidently this is a thing.  I too had updated the BIOS, Thunderbolt software, Thunderbolt firmware, and ASMedia USB driver all to the latest release.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 4th, 2017 03:00

A new BIOS (2.1.0) has just appeared on the Support Downloads page! Has anyone has the chance to verify if it resolved the USB issue?

I can't do it myself as I shipped my dock for a repair :( - it looks it wasn't really necessary, if that's "only" a BIOS-related thing...

No Events found!