Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 6th, 2017 05:00

XPS 9550 BSOD after BIOS update

Have someone else experienced the problem with the VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE BSOD after BIOS update - Dell XPS 15 9550 1.2.21?? It usually happens after sleep/monitor off. After downgrading to BIOS 1.2.19 i no longer experience the problem. 

April 7th, 2017 07:00

I have absolutely the same issue.

Just when the Windows boots up the screen goes black several time then I get a blue screen.

So computer is completely unusable.

Updated BIOS, updated Intel HD drivers from Dell Support site.

But I cannot update the GTX960m card driver from Dell Support, installation fails

monosnap.com/.../Btt2fmSSel675ovvGFkmSv0SNnWZh3

And I cannot download that driver version from nVidia official site.

I hope Dell would fix this ASAP, cause this is just unaccaptable fail.

April 7th, 2017 07:00

I guess the last IntelHD driver which I updated via DellUpdate app was completely broken and killed the system.

I rolled back to some old Intel Driver while in Windows Safe Mode, and now at least I could launch browser without immediate BSOD.

Dell, Please, never roll out not tested drivers this way. This just killed half of my work day, this was terrible, because lots of men and inportant work depends on me.

April 7th, 2017 09:00

I am really stuck with BSODs..Nothing is working. downgraded BIOS. Rolled back Drivers. Tried resetting windows with keep my files option. No use.. BSODs continue. Dell customer care tried remote diagnostics... Failed. Now working on clean install... Fingers crossed.

Dell really screwed up this time. Even if I'll send it to depot for repair it may take 7 to 12 days as I am told.

Being a student, I really can't manage without a laptop for a week when your finals are just weeks away. 

April 7th, 2017 16:00

I did the graphics driver roll back and the problem is gone, i hope that DELL fix this problem ASAP, we are many affected users

Thanks matthias_hoeller for the temporary fix

13 Posts

April 7th, 2017 17:00

Here's what I did to resolve the issue temporarily until Dell fixes the issue:

1) Disable networking so Windows Update can't find a driver online after rebooting in the steps below.

2) Go into Device Manager and locate the Intel HD Graphics 530 display adapter.

3) Right-Click it and select "Uninstall". Check the box that says "Delete the driver software for this device". Reboot when prompted.

3) After the system reboots, install the A08 driver from Intel (the latest is the A09 driver - you don't want this one).

4) You can now re-enable networking.

IMPORTANT: I've noticed that Windows Update will install a newer driver (the same version as the A09 version from Dell) after you follow the above steps. Once this happens, go back into Device Manager, Right-click on the Intel HD Graphics 530 display adapter, select properties, go to the Driver Tab, and select Roll Back Driver. This will put you back on the A08 driver and this seems to work just fine.

Note: The A08 driver shows up as version 20.19.15.4531 in Device Manager.

One additional note: Intel has even newer drivers available than the problematic driver provided by Dell but these are also failing on the XPS 15 9550. It's entirely possible that there is some problem with the BIOS causing it to not get along with the latest display drivers, but we'll just have to hope that Dell does something about this. Frankly, I'm not holding my breath. I have several other issues involving known and admitted hardware and driver problems from Dell and they still have not addressed these In over a year. This is definitely my last Dell product.

1 Message

April 8th, 2017 05:00

Same Flickering and constant Crashing issue after BIOS update.

Updated Intel Graphics Card--> still the same.

Tried installing Nvdia driver--> Failed

I cannot use my COMPUTER!!! Somebody help!

103 Posts

April 8th, 2017 06:00

Thanks - this worked for me. Updated to the newest driver, BSOD from the minute it booted. A combination of safe mode to uninstall the driver, then installing this older version, fixed it up. Although I had to be quick installing this one, it kept trying to install the newer one! Thanks Matthias_Hoeller.

2 Posts

April 8th, 2017 15:00

Solved it by using the few seconds I have after boot (with flickering) to go to the device manager and reverting the integrated graphics driver to the older version. Thanks QA

13 Posts

April 8th, 2017 22:00

Just as an FYI, even the "working" Intel display adapter driver is not working for me in Creator's Update (the final released version). I get major issues like not being able to resize the start screen at all.

103 Posts

April 9th, 2017 02:00

Arggg - everytime I roll it back, it updates again after an hour or so and starts crashing again!

380 Posts

April 9th, 2017 04:00

It is bad enough that Dell's Update will throw this at you but now Windows Update is doing it making it difficult to block it. This obviously was not tested very well. I have shut off Dell Update and manually downloaded and installed the update rather than fight with Windows Update. I have the full HD version of the XPS 9550 not the 4K version. I don't know if that makes a difference. The update is working ok for me other than it changed the refresh rate from 60hz to 59hz. This happened before when I installed the Anniversary Update last summer. It caused weird desktop effects (the taskbar was a black block). I may sit on the Creators Update until this is fixed since it appears that people are having issues with that.

JohnD

13 Posts

April 10th, 2017 06:00

How are you rolling back? Are you going into device manager and specifically selecting the rollback option there? If you do it that way then it should not try to update the driver via Windows Update again.

103 Posts

April 10th, 2017 08:00

Thanks - it seems to have stayed away this time, not sure why it reverted last time.

178 Posts

April 10th, 2017 08:00

I have an XPS 9550 and have ben having the exact same problems.

I have tried rolling back drivers, uninstalling and re-installing drivers, uninstalling the INTEL 530 drivers and re-booting, uninstalling the Video card and re-installing, reverting to the older BOIOS.

NOTHING has fixed the problem.

When I reverted to the old BIOS, the problem took a little longer to reappear, but it did reappear.

Please Dell..... HELP !!!!!!

April 17th, 2017 17:00

Same problem here, it seemed to happen about a week or two ago after a major windows 10 update.  I've had terrible trouble with an external 1080p monitor, dell update wasn't loading the new drivers, manually upgraded chipset and graphics drivers, still getting blue screens and the flickering that others are speaking about.

Help, this was once a great laptop! Even though the docking station I ordered never materialized. When are you going to deliver that docking station that allows simultaneous connection and use of two external UHD monitors along with the laptop monitor?

No Events found!