Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 30th, 2017 15:00

XPS 9550 Touchpad Tap Function Not Working

For the past several months, I have been experiencing an issue with my touchpad on my XPS 9550. I have sent my laptop in 4 times for repairs, and I have even had my laptop replaced with a new one and the same problem remains! I know that I am not imagining this problem because other people have experienced it, but I have not yet seen a fix.

The Problem: Every few days, the touchpad suddenly becomes unresponsive to tapping. Upon tapping, it either tries to drag whatever you have selected, or it highlights text (depending on what you are doing). Multiple finger gestures (e.g. scrolling, changing desktops) still work perfectly fine for some reason, and so does mechanical clicking of the touchpad. The only temporary fix is a full restart, which is very annoying and time-consuming to do on a nearly daily basis.

Interventions:
1. Updated BIOS and drivers - no change
2. Sent in for Windows re-install - no change
3. Sent in for new touchpad and palm rest - no change
4. Sent in for new motherboard - no change
5. Sent in for system exchange (they gave me a new laptop) - NO CHANGE

Does anybody have any ideas on how to remedy this issue? None of Dell's technicians seem to know the answer. I would be extremely appreciative if anyone has any suggestions, and I'm sure you'd be helping out a bunch of other people as well!

9.4K Posts

April 3rd, 2017 07:00

Hi toddalter31,

Thanks for posting.

Apologies for your computer not working as expected.

Here is some information you may find helpful:  http://dell.to/2nOKed3

April 4th, 2017 13:00

I was experiencing this too in my Dell XPS 15 and it was a hassle having to restart it when it happens. This is what worked for me... Click Start > Type "Mouse and Touchpad Settings" >Disable "Allow Double Tap and Drag", then close the settings screen. Let me know if that worked for you.

3 Posts

April 5th, 2017 08:00

Thanks for the suggestion jpmarcelo22. Unfortunately this did not work for me.

1 Message

May 11th, 2017 20:00

Were you able to figure out a fix for your problem? I have been facing the same issue and restarting the system seems to be the only option here and it could be really irritating if you are multitasking.

3 Posts

May 12th, 2017 12:00

Unfortunately I have not. I am now on my 3rd system exchange and have decided to give up and bought a wireless mouse. I don't enjoy carrying it around everywhere, I can't do any gestures with it, and I don't like that it makes an audible click, but it's better than restarting my computer in the middle of the day.

Still waiting on the elusive fix to this annoying issue.

No Events found!