Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 29th, 2016 13:00

XPS 9550 missing Intel DSP driver

I have a new XPS 9550 FHD laptop with all the latest drivers and updates applied.

It's working fine as far as I can tell, but Device Manager reports a missing driver for "Intel High Definition DSP".

What is this, do I need it and where can I find a driver please?

TIA, Mike

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 30th, 2016 13:00

DEVICE 0222 (NVIDIA GeForce 6200 A-LE

The XPS 9550 comes with 2 graphic (video) controllers. The "integrated" one is the Intel graphics in the cpu (all Intel "i" Core cpu's have the graphics in the cpu), and the "discrete" graphics is the nVidia GeForce -- on a separate chip. The nVidia is higher end but the integrated graphics runs by default in a laptop because it uses less power. The discrete kicks in when the demand is higher, like in gaming.

Download and install fresh copies of both drivers. The missing file might be a "shared" one that is included in the Intel driver. If you have Windows 10, this is the newest Intel graphics driver for your laptop. If that doesn't have the missing file, try the latest nVidia driver. If you have a different OS, let me know.

If neither driver has the missing file, I would use Windows System Restore and return the laptop's configuration to a date nearer to when you received it. Probably got removed by accident. If the file still does not show up, I wouldn't worry about it, or do a full system recovery (revert to the factory configuration).

"HD Audio Bus Driver"

That's the trunk for audio signals. Any HD (high definition) audio device is attached to it.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 29th, 2016 15:00

Intel Display Audio

Hello. Intel Display Audio is the driver for HDMI audio -- when the laptop is connected to a TV with an HDMI cable. The HDMI audio driver comes as part of the Intel graphics driver.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

There is an Intel Display Audio under Sound Devices.  

If you hover over the speaker icon in the hidden icons on the Taskbar, do you show Dell Audio?

I am in Win 10.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

Hello Mike. DSP is digital sound processing, but I have never heard of an Intel driver for it. Is anything connected to the laptop -- a dock or something?

You could try downloading a fresh copy of the Realtek audio driver.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

November 29th, 2016 16:00

Just trying to find something which would relate to the DSP.  Since it makes me think of movies or Dolby Digital type sound possibly it is tied to the HDMI output.

I don't see anything else on either of my systems that might involve DSP.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

November 29th, 2016 16:00

Digital Signal Processing may be something different but I don't know exactly what that might involve.

If there is an unknown device, look at the Properties, Details and get us a Hardware ID.

November 30th, 2016 00:00

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm at work now so will have to get back to you this evening (UK time) with a hardware ID. The laptop isn't connected to anything although I do have a WD15 dock which works OK when I use it.

Mike

November 30th, 2016 11:00

So, Device Manager says the Location is "HD Audio Bus Driver" (same as the Realtek Audio) but the Hardware IDs are:

VENDOR 8086 (Intel Corporation)

DEVICE 0222 (NVIDIA GeForce 6200 A-LE

I'm none the wiser ...

Mike

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

November 30th, 2016 12:00

There is a High Definition Audio Controller in the System Devices section of Device Manager.  I assume that driver is with the Chipset drivers.

December 1st, 2016 00:00

Thank you sir for that most helpful explanation. It looks like I posted in the wrong part of the forum!

Yes I have Windows 10 and I will follow your suggestions this evening. I didn't notice if this problem existed when I bought the laptop, but I have since visited the Dell web site several times to run auto update and also installed the drivers for the Dell Dock.

I'm not too keen on rolling back as would have to uninstall and reinstall Photoshop. I don't do gaming so if all else fails I will just ignore it, although the thought of a yellow exclamation mark in Device Manager has always bugged me!

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 1st, 2016 04:00

look at the Properties, Details and get us a Hardware ID.

That was a smart suggestion.

December 1st, 2016 13:00

Yes, thanks for the suggestion Saltgrass.

I checked both the above drivers against my current installation and it appears I have the latest of both. As I said, I don't want to roll back and have to reinstall software (Photoshop is a pain for that) so I will leave things as they are as it doesn't seem to be causing me a problem.

Nice to meet you all!

Mike

No Events found!