Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 8th, 2017 12:00

XPS 9560 - Screen flicker

I have the 4K screen 32GB RAM model of the 9560. Every now and then the screen will momentarily flash black (for maybe 0.25 - 0.5 seconds) and then go back to normal. Sometimes it'll flicker slightly before coming back - also there is sometimes some graphic black and white stripes/corruption (kind of looks like a barcode effect) at the same time.

I've updated to the newer Intel Graphics drivers (which fixed the Chrome lag for me - i.e. version 4590) but I still get the issue. I have also tried disabling Chrome from running in the background and using Opera instead. But the issue still remains. Some Googling revealed that others had the same issue with the 9550 and a setting on the Dell Wireless drivers fixed it. I wouldn't be all that surprised if the Killer drivers were causing an issue - but unfortunately it does not have the same setting as the Dell Wireless drivers. I have also seen mention of disabling Hyper-v. Although I have Windows 10 Home (no Hyper-v), I've tried disabling the two Virtualisation settings in the BIOS but I'm still suffering from the issue.

I should add that it does not appear to be a mechanical issue. Moving the screen or tiling the laptop does not cause/replicate the issue. Instead, it'll happen randomly when the laptop is perfectly still.

It can go hours/days without the issue appearing and then suddenly I'll have two or three instances of it within an hour.

If anybody else has encountered the same issue and knows a fix then I'd be very grateful.

EDIT:

Having done some research, I see that this same issue has been reported numerous times in respect of the 4k panel on the 9560 and the 9360. See here:

- Anyone getting similar screen flickering from 9560? https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/5xvuv0/anyone_getting_similar_screen_flickering_from_9560/
- XPS 9550 + 4K panel screen flicker thread: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/xps-9550-4k-panel-screen-flicker-thread.795285/

The latter link also includes numerous reports of the same issue in respect of the 9550 (278 replies to that thread and counting). A user on Reddit posted a video on Youtube a couple of days ago showing the same issue I (and others) are suffering: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=14&v=1vyBADhmgq4

Given that this issue has been present since the 9550, it would seem this is something that Dell has overlooked. The laptop isn't really fit for purpose with the screen flickering black. I'd be grateful if someone from Dell would confirm whether a fix for this issue will be released (and the timeframe). If not, I'd be grateful if you could advise how I can proceed with arranging for a return and refund.

1 Message

July 6th, 2017 05:00

Also new:

1. NVidia Video Driver - nVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-Quadro-graphic-Driver_K2H3H_WIN_22.21.13.8205_A10

2. BIOS 1.3.4

3. All  some Dock drivers

I had some flicks 4-5x a day... 1 or 2 flicks less than a second.

I updated to all above driver and deleted the dell premiere, so far so good. I will update the status.

July 16th, 2017 05:00

I just got 9560 7700HQ / 32 GB RAM / 1 TB Drive / 4K, same flickering problem every now and then. Still don't have any solution..

16 Posts

July 16th, 2017 08:00

@desiree.shao: What Intel driver do you have? Can you verify it is the latest Intel HD 630 driver from the Intel website (.4678)

3 Posts

July 23rd, 2017 22:00

Just so you guys know, I contacted dell about this yesterday as it was happening to my XPS 15 9560. They are sending a tech out to do a mobo swap.

It was pretty painless on the phone (took maybe an hour end-to-end). I called because the flicker happened and didn't go away on reboot (previously it had). I then went into the bios and it was still flickering! When I gave this info they didn't make me do any driver reinstalls or anything, as I was able to clearly articulate that it was happening before any drivers were loaded.

16 Posts

July 30th, 2017 07:00

When I had this issue before and Dell reset my PC, I was seeing like 1 flicker every week; it was pretty rare. Some days it would flicker more, but I'd restart my PC and they were  gone.

But I upgraded my Intel driver to 4678, haven't seen any flickers for 16 days.

So everyone: MAKE SURE YOUR INTEL DRIVER IS THE LATEST ONE ON INTEL'S SITE.

Also, make sure that Window's update doesn't downgrade your driver to the previous "approved" one.

1 Message

July 30th, 2017 07:00

Your YouTube video isn't available anymore... can you explain what you did or re-post it?

3 Posts

August 3rd, 2017 14:00

This isn't a driver issue. I had the same behavior as described and it was happening in the bios configuration screen.

2 Posts

September 3rd, 2017 05:00

From my previous post (see pg.21) I have the following feedback.

This is not a 100% fix but it is BY FAR the most stable driver out there for the screen flickering on my 9350. I have had two week runs of no flickering at all, and then some days it'll happen a bit. It must be hardware, the internet would have solved this problem by now, but the fact that I have some improvement with different drivers show that they definitely play a part.

2 Posts

September 19th, 2017 14:00

Has DELL responded with a permanent fix? Yet?

2 Posts

September 19th, 2017 14:00

So has there been a resolution from DELL about this issue? Seems like they are keeping quiet. I spent $1.8k on the XPS 15" and I've been dealing with this for years. DELL? Anything?

16 Posts

September 23rd, 2017 03:00

My flickering was horrible when I bought the computer, and it's been several months now with no flickers.

In my case, it was clear that the Intel drivers were not good and needed to be upgraded: this also explains why I would usually only get the flickers while using the Chrome browser and not when I was doing high-performance tasks: the flickers would happen when the computer was using the lower-powered Intel graphics chip, and when switching to the Nvidia graphics card for more performance, the flicker rarely occurred.

46 Posts

September 23rd, 2017 03:00

For those insisting that this is a hardware problem could somebody explain to me why I have had no more flickering since April. Since I updated to the latest intel generic (not dell published) HD630 driver (at the time the .4664) after clean uninstalling the previous dell driver with the display driver uninstaller as described in a previous page on this forum and changing the windows settings so that the driver doesn't get automatically rolled back.

Until that time 50 flickers per day. Since that update 0 flickers in 5 Months. With the same hardware. With the same heavy daily use of the computer.

2 Posts

October 3rd, 2017 15:00

My system:  4K 9560 i7-7700HQ, 32GB, 960Pro 2TB Win10Pro, TB16 dock (never had Premier Color, or the Intel RST app installed)

Flickering happens when using 2x 4K on the TB16 and the XPS's lid is open and is a 3rd 4K.  

Flickering does NOT happen with 2x 4K on the TB16, and the XPS's lid is closed.

Downloaded the latest Intel graphics ZIP driver today from downloadcenter.intel.com, and forced Win10 to install it (don't use the Setup.EXE; use Device Manager and point it to use the inf file from the unzipped driver file).  

So far, so good.  No flickering with all 3x 4K screens.  

3 Posts

October 18th, 2017 03:00

Why would they remove lower 20% of xps 9560 brightness when its known to be issue with intel drivers. Now my eyes hurt at night since i cant lower my brightness low enough. Using other tools to dim the screen wont help since it will messed up colors.

46 Posts

December 13th, 2017 04:00

After 7 months without a single flickering got overconfident a week ago and tried to activate dell update again. For some reason my intel display driver got rolled back and the flickering begun again immediately!! I downloaded and installed the latest generic intel driver (.4849). The flickering stopped again completely. Bye bye dell update!

No Events found!