Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

D

July 18th, 2008 08:00

XPS Centrino 2 Laptops?

Hi,

is there no sign yet of the Centrino 2 refresh of the XPS Laptop line?

HP and Toshiba, Acer, etc already have theirs out!

Do you think Dell will release in the next month before I have to buy a new one, or shall I spend my money elsewhere?

thanks

Philip

21 Posts

July 18th, 2008 09:00

Here's my 2 cents.

You can go ahead and buy the XPS laptop right now... they do have real sweet deals going on....

The Centrino 2 will probably be released in the last week of July... sometime after 25th - 26th.... and the performance and tech changes are NOT going to be significant at all. But still ,if you like them, you can always invoke the 30 days no questions asked return policy from dell... get a full refund or credit towards the new system.... and configure yourself another.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 18th, 2008 11:00

Dell hasn't made any announcements yet - no doubt the systems will come.  Whether there'll be a high-end XPS replacement is open to question;  rumors say the M1730 is the end of the line, and that Alienware will take over the high end gaming niche from the top-level XPS.

July 18th, 2008 11:00

Thanks,

It's not just the Centrino 2 and the new chipset, but also the faster memory, possibility of Blue Ray drives, better HDD and the 256MB Video card (in the 13inch XPS Laptop) etc that I'm waiting for.

Plus most of the good deals in the UK and EU have ended.

cheers

Philip

11 Posts

July 31st, 2008 07:00

Hey man sounds like you're in the exact same situation I'm in...I'm getting ready to go to college and I need a new laptop. I've really been looking at the XPS m1330 and I would definitely love it if Dell offered 256MB discrete graphics and the DDR3 and 1066 FSB are no doubt worth waiting for.  I'm just going to wait and if I have to buy it kind of late then that's what I'll do. My hunch is that they'll release mid August because that's when Sony's new vaios with centrino 2 are shipping and I think that's when Intel is going to fully release the rest of Centrino 2 in full swing. If we're lucky Dell might even be doing a design revamp of the xps at the same time they offer centrino with their XPS line.
No Events found!