Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 11th, 2015 08:00

XPS Coil Whine

My new XPS 13 9343-2727SLV from the Microsoft Store does NOT have coil whine issues. I had previously purchased an XPS 13 4289 that did suffer from coil whine. I returned that system but really liked the form factor and overall build quality of the XPS line. I was willing to risk another XPS system especially with the new 'infinity' display. So far the system is really nice, the infinity screen is awesome with the smallest bezel I've ever seen. The system has aluminum top and bottom, instead of carbon bottom. Also has less RAM than the 4289 but I can still run Visual Studio 2013 and SQL Server 2014 with great performance. I'd definitely recommend the new XPS 13 system, just be sure it's the new one. Maybe the aluminum bottom affords a better ground plane, I don't know but it's really one of the nicest laptops I've owned. The XPS replaces an HP Envy (never liked the keyboard) and I also own an MSI GS70. I had considered the Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro and X1 Carbon but the XPS has better battery life.

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

January 11th, 2015 18:00

How is the battery life, does it live up to its 15 hr claim?

4 Posts

January 12th, 2015 11:00

I'm seeing between 12 and 13 hours with Visual Studio and SQL Server running, as well as Adobe Flash Builder and Firefox. Skype, Lync and Outlook in the background too. Around 50% screen brightness which is fine in a well lit office. That's the longest battery life I've ever seen, way longer than my Surface 2 Pro.

No Events found!