Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 20th, 2010 05:00

XPS L501X Microphone not working

My new XPS 15 internal microphone does not work!  Recording video using Dell Webcam has no audio!  Skype program also does not pass setup with microphone!   Sound recorder does not record anything also.  Control panel shows microphone "High Definition Audio Device" as default.  It also shows another "High Definition Audio Device" labeled as left  panel 3.5mm jack not connected.  

Tried removing and re-installing drivers and programs with no change.  Anyone have any ideas?   

35 Posts

November 20th, 2010 06:00

Spent 48 minutes with a Dell Tech Support rep.  Unable to get it working properly.  Recorded sound sounds like the mic is stuffed in a box and there is only a hum and muffled sounds when I tap on the palm rest.  It almost seems like the mic is insatlled deep inside the motherboard.  Have the mic boost turned all the way up to +30.00db. Dell will be dispatching a tech to the house hopefully Monday or Tuesday (it's Saturday).   More to follow.....

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 20th, 2010 07:00

Control panel shows microphone "High Definition Audio Device" as default. 

If it just says "High Definition Audio Device" instead of something like "Realtec HD Audio" then the Realtec driver might not be installed for some reason, in which case the computer is using the generic driver in Windows.

I would run the Dell Diagnostics Audio Tests. If it fails the mic tests then it is the hardware, but if it passes it is most likely the driver.

35 Posts

November 20th, 2010 08:00

I installed the Realtek HD Audio Driver but the microphone still does not record properly.   I did notice that the Sub-Woofer makes a popping sound every several seconds with the Realtek driver.  I reverted back to the generic HD Audio Driver and no popping sounds.  Either driver works.  My guess is the Realtek Driver has some issues that need to be resolved.   I'vbe noticed other folks posting on the popping sounds. 

I will try the Dell Diagnostic Audio Tests and report back.  Thanks for the help.

35 Posts

November 20th, 2010 09:00

Ran the Dell Diagnostic Audio Tests.  The internal microphone test failed:  error code:1B63:1D1B  MSG:  user indicated they did not hear the expected results. 

All other test passed including the side microphone 3.5mm jack.   However,  I did notice the side micropone jack does not work in windows either.  Having flashbacks to when I first got my XPS M1330 and the microphone array issues with that system.  Very frustrating! 

3 Posts

November 22nd, 2010 07:00

Have the same problem with my 5010 Inspiron. However, eventually got the mike working with Skype, but when not on Skype the feedback through the mike is disturbing. Only thing I could do if I wanted to use the internal speakers was to disable the mike. Still not fathomed out  how to fix it completely.

23 Posts

November 24th, 2010 08:00

I have the same problem. The internal mic test failed.

So, I'll add this problem to the many others I'm experiencing with this laptop - from slow startup time (2 minutes and 20 seconds) to it not being compatible with Netgear Push2TV.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 24th, 2010 08:00

To those who are getting a failure during the Dell Diagnostics audio tests, you ought to report it to Dell Support. The test is saying that you have a hardware failure and that is something that Dell will fix under your warranty.

35 Posts

November 24th, 2010 20:00

A Dell Technician came to the house today with a new display and ribbon cable.  He replaced both but that did not fix the problem.  They are now going to replace my laptop.   I was told it will take about 10 days for the replacement to arrive.  I was concerned about the 21 day return policy.  My initial 21 days will be up by the time the replacement arrives.  If there are any issues with the replacement I was worried I'd be out of luck and nbe not able to return it.  I was told the 21 days reset and starts over on the day I receive the replacement. 

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 25th, 2010 06:00

I would double check that. Maybe post on one of the other forum boards that has more participation -- like the New to the Community forum -- to see if anyone can confirm that. We no longer have a Customer Service board where one used to be able to get that kind of information.

35 Posts

November 29th, 2010 14:00

Jim thanks for the suggestion on double checking that!  I spent over an hour and a half on the phone with Dell Customer Support this afternoon and was not happy at all with their answers to my questions.   It appears the replacement system they promised me has not yet been approved and has not been acted on since Nov 24th.  They seem to be dragging their feet.  The Service Manager did acknowledge I could not return the replacement system within 21 days of it receipt if it has any problems.  Their lack of knowledge and lack of professionalism was a real turnoff.   I was put on hold several times and passed around.  Sad to say I have made the decision to return my laptop.  I’m still within the initial 21 days and have requested a full refund.   I have no desire to deal with the Dell team in the future.   I’m really disappointed with this so called high end system.  The total experience has been terrible.  It’s time to cut my losses.  Adios dell….

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 29th, 2010 18:00

I'm sorry for your experience with this. I have seen posts in the past from people who felt that the system is designed to drag on past the return period.

1 Message

December 27th, 2012 14:00

The problem with this laptop is that it does not “record” through the 3.5mm microphone jack on the side of the laptop.  It records fine through the on board built-in microphone that is on the body of the screen, on the left and right sides of the webcam, but not through the 3.5mm microphone jack on the right side body of the laptop. I tried three different headsets and tried to record through the 3.5mm jack, all three were not able to record. But, all three headsets were able to record on another Dell, Inspiron, that I have.  The only one recording, whether a headset is connected or not, is the internal built-in microphone on the screen body.

I believe there is a design or driver problem with this series of laptop; I just don’t believe only my particular laptop of mine is defective/problematic.  Anybody else faced this problem.  Please holler.

No Events found!