Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 16th, 2013 14:00

XPS L501x Very Slow and Lags

Recently I have a major lagging problem with my XPS L501x unlike before. It lags in everything: browsing, gaming, opening files, Ctrl+F in txt files takes too long to open, even the right click lags, watching youtube videos, games, programs, applying settings on anything, playing music and video files, switching between tabs in any browser, opening folders, typing, etc..

I tried everything but the problem still exists. I formatted all the hard drive with all partitions and done a clean Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Installation, updated all the drivers definitions and installed windows updates but problem wasn't resolved. I ran dell diagnostics by pressing the F12 key while starting up and it passed all the tests, updated the BIOS to A08. Also cleaned all vents to remove dust and used a cooling pad under the laptop but the problem still exists. So I decided to send it to dell tech support. They wouldn't able to solve the problem.

I uninstalled the Intel Rapid Storage Driver as I found that this may help but with no luck too. 

Any suggestions please?

My Laptop Specs:

Intel Core i7 1.73 GHz with TurboBoost

RAM: 6GB

Nvidia GeForce GT 435M 2GB Dedicated.

Toshiba Hard Disk: 640GB

---

Here is an addition that may help. I ran several tests on my built-in Toshiba 640GB MK6461GSY using the HD Tune Pro software. It came up with some errors. Found 31 damaged sectors and 104402084 interface CRC error count and I actually don't know what does this error means. I also was monitoring the temperature and it varies between 50 to 52 C, I don't know whether it is normal or not. Last thing I noticed the read access time is 18.9 ms which is yellow highlighted by the software so maybe it is abnormal.

I want to know if my hard drive is the problem of lag and freeze or it is working normal?

Does this results indicates a hardware failure and needs replace?!

Here is some screenshots of my tests:

1) Reallocated Sector Count:

2) Interface CRC Error Count:

3) Benchmark:

4) Temperature:

5) Extra Tests:

Waiting for your replies. Thank you in advance.

4 Posts

November 22nd, 2013 07:00

Problem Solved . It was the hard drive, it has delay. Dell diagnostics didn't show the hard drive delay. A technician have made a delay test with a software and it came up with a delay error in the hard drive. I think  this software is HDAT2 but I'm not sure.

I replaced it with a new one and the problem totally solved. No lags or freezing anymore. I just wanted to share my experience if anyone have this problem, this post may help. 

Regards.

1 Message

March 23rd, 2014 09:00

Hello! It looks that I have a quite similar problem, that you have had. My laptop works slow and lenght of disk queue is much more than 1 (sometimes it achieve values greater than 20!). Disk response time sometimes is more than 4 seconds! It is difficult to work on this hardware. So I decided to change hard disk. But could you advise what kind of hard disk you purchased to your laptop? Is it working correctly till now? Thanks for any information! Best regards, Michal

4 Posts

March 24th, 2014 03:00

Hello, 

I replaced the hard disk with new Toshiba MQ01ABF050 5400 RPM, it is working fine and fast with no lags until now but it is a little bit slower than the 7200 RPM new hard drive. Unfortunately, I didn't find a new 7200 RPM hard disk in the stock. I think all brands are the same, it only differs when you buy an SSD hard drive.

Hope this helps :)

Best regards.

No Events found!