Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 11th, 2013 17:00

XPS L502X Keyboard Not Working

Hello there!

I have been having problems all week with my laptop overheating so today I decided to clean out my heat sink and fan. I was able to disassemble the laptop without a problem and removed a decent amount of dust from the inside of the laptop. After putting everything back together, I booted up the computer only to find that the keyboard is not working. I have disassembled and reassembled the laptop several times to make sure that everything is plugged in and connected and still cannot get the keyboard to work. Please help!!

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

December 13th, 2013 05:00

Hi jhueter,

I am sorry aobut the situation. Please connect an external keyboard to check if you are able to use it.
Also
check keyboard functionality in Command prompt. For that restart the system and at the Dell logo tap the F8 key every two seconds. In the ‘Advanced Boot Option’ window using arrow keys highlight ‘Repair your Computer’ and hit enter. Select the keyboard layout and click on ‘Next’. On the ‘System recovery Option’ menu click on ‘Command prompt’ to open it.

Use your keyboard in this window to check if it works fine. In case the keyboard works fine, the issue is with the Operating system. You may have to back up all the data on the system and reinstall the operating system. If the keyboard does not work even at command prompt, you may consider replacing the keyboard.

2 Posts

December 13th, 2013 10:00

When I try to check the keyboard functionality in the command prompt I can't get to the keyboard layout selection. I am able to find the Repair your Computer but when I hit enter Windows launches like normal and I am unable to continue. 

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

December 14th, 2013 09:00

Hi jhueter,

Thank you for the update. Did you check with an external keyboard?

No Events found!