Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 2nd, 2013 05:00

XPS L502X Unbearable Fan Noise

Hello everyone.

I have an XPS L502X laptop which I bought on August 2011. A few months ago, probably just one month after the expiry of the warranty, the fan started to make an unbearable noise. This constant on/off of the fan starts even if I just open Firefox, Windows Media Player, Office or any other software. There's no need to play games for hours. Just to clarify: the fan starts even if the laptop is completely cold and I have just turned it on.

I tried everything: I updated the BIOS drivers, I updated the NVIDIA drivers, I modified the properties of the fan control following the suggestions of some users. In short, I did everything I found on the previous threads but nothing worked!

Is there a different solution? Do I have to contact the support and plan a sostitution of the fan? I mean, I read tens of post like mine, is that possible that a definitive solution has not been found yet?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

April 5th, 2013 05:00

Just unplug the system, remove the battery and use a good vacuum cleaner to pull the dust out of the ventilation holes at the bottom of the system.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

April 2nd, 2013 05:00

Make sure the heatsink is free of dust.  If there is even a little, it'll insulate the heatsink and prevent it from doing its job.

3 Posts

April 5th, 2013 02:00

To do that I should literally disassembly the laptop... Probably I should rather send it to DELL technical support to avoid mistakes or damaging the computer. Anyway I read about some people who claimed a fan sostitution, because it is unthinkable that every year the laptop has to be opened for dust problems. Wouldn't it be a better solution? How much would it cost?

3 Posts

April 5th, 2013 10:00

Ok, thank you!

No Events found!