Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 29th, 2016 22:00

XPS L502X- Windows 10 Realtek drivers solution?

Is there a solution for the lack of good drivers for the l502x with windows 10 audio? I had to use task manager to prevent the Realtek drivers from loading at startup otherwise the machine never goes into sleep. I see the Realtek site has R2.79 but I don't know if that will address the messed up Equalizer and driver's in W10

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 30th, 2016 06:00

Hello. Have you tried installing the driver that used to work for you, before you installed the audio-unfriendly Win10, using compatibility mode? If not, it might be worth a try if you feel you need to have Win10 on that model.

First remove all Realtek drivers that are in the system now. Go into the Device Manager and expand the Sound, Video & Game Controllers section. Right click on the Realtek and select to uninstall. Put a check mark in the option to delete the driver software, and then ok. Reboot the laptop and go back to the Device Manager and check again for a Realtek driver. Keep uninstalling & rebooting until Realtek no longer appears under Sound...Controllers and "High Definition Audio Device" appears in its place. "High Definition Audio Device" is the name of the Windows native driver.

Download the Win7 64-bit or the Win8 32/64-bit Realtek driver, whichever that worked before.

1. Download and save the audio driver to your desktop or any convenient location on the hard drive.
2. Double click on the new folder to extract (unzip) the driver files.
3. The extractor wizard will create a new folder for the driver files. It will be at "c:\dell\drivers\xxxxxx". Write down the exact location that the wizard creates.
4. If the driver begins to install automatically, halt (cancel) the installation.
5. Browse to the driver files on the hard drive (the location you wrote down).
6. Find the "setup.exe" file.
7. Right click on setup.exe to open the context menu.
8. Select the Properties.
9. Select the Compatibility tab.
10. Check the box "run this program in compatibility mode for"... Win7 or Win8.

March 30th, 2016 10:00

Well I upgraded from 8.1 which should be the driver I've got on here and that hasn't been working at all. I wish Dell would've published some drivers for this model, it certainly has the horsepower to run windows 10

113 Posts

August 7th, 2017 11:00

I have installed the latest driver. Should I revert back to driver Audio R300326.exe ? Current version is 6.0.1.7541, dated 6/18/2015.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 7th, 2017 13:00

Current version is 6.0.1.7541, dated 6/18/2015.

That's not one of the XPS  L502x drivers. Must be a generic one from Microsoft, probably like the one on the Realtek site.

If it works for you don't change it. If you would like to try one of the XPS L502x drivers, your choices are

Realtek 6.0.1.6267 for Win7 64 bit

Realtek 6.0.1.6312 upgrade for win7 64 bit

Realtek 6.0.1.6662 for Win8 32 or 64 bit

In your other thread you said you have previously used Windows 7 and Win8 on your XPS L502x, so you should have a pretty good idea of whether or not you liked those drivers better than the 6.0.1.7541 version.

If you want to try one of those, first download the driver you want. Download it to your desktop but don't unpack it yet or let it install. If it  tries to self install, cancel the installation.

Next get off the internet or turn off Windows Update.

Now remove the current Realtek audio driver. Go into the Device Manager and expand the Sound, Video & Game Controllers section. Right click on the Realtek and select to uninstall. Put a check mark in the option to delete the driver software, and then ok. Reboot the laptop and go back to the Device Manager and check again for a Realtek driver. Keep uninstalling & rebooting until Realtek no longer appears under Sound...Controllers and "High Definition Audio Device" appears in its place. "High Definition Audio Device" is the name of the Windows native driver.

1. Now go to the driver you downloaded to your desktop or wherever it is.
2. Double click on the new folder to extract (unzip) the driver files.
3. The extractor wizard will create a new folder for the driver files. It will be at "c:\dell\drivers\xxxxxx". Write down the exact location that the wizard creates.
4. If the driver begins to install automatically, halt (cancel) the installation.
5. Browse to the driver files on the hard drive (the location you wrote down).
6. Find the "setup.exe" file.
7. Right click on setup.exe to open the context menu.
8. Select the Properties.
9. Select the Compatibility tab.
10. Check the box "run this program in compatibility mode for ... Win7 or Win8, depending on which driver you decided to install. You could try all three if you want to. But be aware that when you go back online or re-enable windows Update, Microsoft might try to install the 6.0.1.7541 driver again.

No Events found!