Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 12th, 2012 08:00

XPS L502X has a very slow start up

I recently purchased Dell XPS L502X laptop and I find that the start up is very slow. Its taking around 4 to 6 minutes to start up and load the screen. I have tried disabling the non windows services and also startup programs through MSConfig.. even then problem is not solved. XPS L502X being one of the powerful laptop, shouldnt be loading this slow.. this is truly disappointing. Please help. 

3 Posts

September 12th, 2012 09:00

Other than this, i dont find any issues related to the performance. Once it loads the desktop, the system is fast enough. I have not installed any such software which would consume a lot of system resource during the start up.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

September 12th, 2012 10:00

Hi prenak16,

I am sorry to hear that the XPS L502X laptop boots very slowly.  This could happen if the” Intel  SpeedStep” feature is disabled in the BIOS. Please follow the steps provided below to enable it:

1. Turn on or restart your notebook.
2. Press at the Dell logo to access the BIOS.
3. In the BIOS, navigate to “Advanced” and select Intel (R) SpeedStep(tm) and change it to “Enabled”.
4. Navigate to “Exit” and select “Exit Saving Changes” and press F10 to “Save and Exit”.

The system will restart. Please check if it boots faster. If this does not fix the issue, run a Diagnostics on the hardware. Follow the steps provided below:

1. Restart the computer.
2. Start tapping the F12 key until the “One Time Boot menu” appears.
3. At the One Time Boot menu, press the arrow key to highlight Diagnostics.
4. Write down any error codes listed.

Reply to this message with your findings.

1 Message

October 1st, 2012 05:00

I am experiencing the same on the same laptop, but only when I don't hear an access sound of the (dvd) drive. (But its not in the boot list).

Is that a dvd drive issue???

Can boot normally after 20 retries then.... Super annoying and of course occuring after one year warranty. Never ever again!

677 Posts

October 9th, 2012 00:00

Hi slipdog,

I suggest that you check if the DVD drive is detected in 'BIOS'. If it is detected, Reset or Load defaults in the BIOS and restart the system to check if it works fine.

You can also update the latest firmware for the DVD drive and check if it works. The following link will take you to the download page from where you can select the DVD drive model of the system and download the latest firmware. Please open ‘Device Manager’ on your system by clicking on Start>typing Device Manager in ‘Search’ and clicking on the first result. Please click on the arrow next to the section ‘DVD/CDROM Drives’ and make a note of the model of the DVD drive listed under that heading.

http://dell.to/OPMtc2

You may also run hardware diagnostics on the system to check if there are any failing components. The following steps will help you in running the diagnostics.

Shut the system down, hold down the 'Fn' key and start the system. This will initiate the diagnostics and run a series of test on most of the hardware components. Make a note of any error messages.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know in case of any queries.

Thanks and regards
Harish R
#iworkfordell

No Events found!