Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 16th, 2015 02:00

XPS L521x - Black screen after memory upgrade

Morning all,

I bought an XPS L521x last year, and i've decided to do a memory upgrade with recommended memory from crucial (8gb -> 16gb).

Since then, i've had two problems, one which is pretty serious - the laptop takes 5-10 attempts to boot, i press ON and i just have a lit up keyboard and front light but a black screen. I have to keep holding down the power button and trying over until it boots. Has anyone had issues after upgrading the memory? I can get it to boot it just takes ages - and windows 'event viewer' shows nothing, and 'MemTest' passes 100% on both modules.

The other issue i can live with - but it's annoying :) I can't install the NVidia GEForce 630M drivers, when they are installed i get a screen that looks like it has tearing issues, it just flickers in an unusable state - unless i plug into the display port! Really strange! I've found a few forum posts on it but any order i install results in the same problem. Like i said not important yet but annoying.

Any thoughts?

E

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

March 16th, 2015 11:00

Hi newzeroriot,

Thanks for posting on the Forum.  Sounds like the memory problem could be causing both issues. 

The XPS L521X/15 has two internally-accessible DDR3 memory slots (primary and secondary), which support DDR3 1600 MHz DIMMs. This system supports up to 16 GB memory.

The secondary memory-module can be accessed after removing the bottom base and primary memory-module  can be accessed after removing the system board.

Have you been able to plug the old memory back in to troubleshoot? 

If the memory is the problem, then since you purchased from Crucial, they have a pretty generous returns policy, so you may be able to speak to them and get some advice on what to purchase that will work the best.

The nVIDIA GeForce GT 630M/640M Graphics Driver can be found here.

This package provides the driver for nVIDIA GT630M/GT640M Graphics and is supported on XPS L421X and L521X running the following Windows Ope... nVIDIA GeForce GT 630M/640M Graphics DriverView details  

Video_Driver_8GH22_WN_9.18.13.3165_A06.EXE|Update Package for Microsoft® Windows®(339 MB) Video|

Release date 17 Dec 2013  |Last Updated 17 Dec 2013 |Recommended  Version 9.18.13.3165,A06

This file will automatically self-install after downloading.Restart required

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Robert

March 17th, 2015 08:00

Thanks Robert, i guessed as much and was looking for anyone else with the same issues - are you confident that the L521X is able to run 16gb RAM? Can you recommend memory that is highly compatible for this upgrade?

I re-installed the originally memory, and indeed this did work. But as a warning to anyone else doing this, i completely lost my windows installation after re-installing the memory, and as such i'm more than cautious about doing this again.

No Events found!