Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 10th, 2011 19:00

XPS M1210 LCD screen normal for 20 seconds then faint image – inverter or backlight?

Hi, my laptop is Dell XPS M1210.  It is about 5 years old but still works quite well until recently something wrong happened to its LCD screen. Every time I turn on the laptop, the LCD screen is normal for about 30-40 seconds and then becomes black suddenly. The screen looks dark but I can still see the faint image. If I close the screen and re-open it, the image becomes normal for another 20 seconds and then turns faint again. I repeat the same action and the screen will do the same thing. I checked the video card by external display and it is fine. I have removed the display bezel to check the cables and everything seems normal to me, so I think the problem should come from the inverter or backlight. I don’t have the tool to check the output voltage from the inverter and it is also kind of dangerous to do this due to the high voltage. When I brought the laptop to the computer repair store in our campus, the technician took a look and said that there should be something wrong with the inverter and he asked me to order the new part from ebay. However since he didn’t check it thoroughly, I am not sure if I should go for it. Actually I can change the inverter by myself, however, for the backlight, no way and I don’t think it worths paying 160-200 bucks to let somebody else rescue such an old laptop.  Does anybody have the similar problem or experience before?  Thanks a lot ahead of time for your attention.

1 Message

May 11th, 2011 22:00

My latitude D600 is doing the same thinghave 2 ready to pull screen from godd display and put on updated with bad display, (ie... on start up it is fine then dims down).

However now that you have mentioned this issue with the inverter, not sure this is the answer.

out of warrenty, and so far the only advise I get from dell tech is is open dell diognostic,(which they did not put on the refurbished unit, and gave me no disc to use.

must say I am prety disgusted with whole dell customer service and hardware.

1 Message

May 12th, 2011 13:00

My previous was XPS M1210 and  two years ago I had problems with the video card (the image start get fuzzy like a "water painting"). I bought a new LCD and inverter in that time and I replaced. Unfortunatelly the same symptoms was present, so wasn't the LCD or invertor issue for me, but I got the extra parts. Last month the XPS M1210 not working anymore so I've got extra parts now. If you are sure your problems is because of inverter or screen let me know and I'll not ask 160$ for those. Now I switch with XPS 15 but on which the SolidWorks doesn't work plus all the on/off fan issues plus ++++++++. SO, DELL WHERE ARE YOU?????

6 Posts

June 27th, 2011 23:00

Thank you guys.  I have tried to replace the inverter but the problem seems to come from the backlight.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 4th, 2011 07:00

CCFL lamps and inverters wear out.  The CCFL tube  is not a user replaceable part.  Labor to replace the screen would be $75 or more.

1 Message

August 4th, 2011 07:00

I am having this same issue.  I have a 2 yr old Dell Inspiron 1440 and recently the display is having problems.  When I start the laptop up the Dell logo appears for about 20 seconds and then it goes black.  I can hear the windows startup sound and I can very faintly see the outline of my icons on my desktop.  Has anyone had any luck solving this issue?  A new screen is $75 and I don't want to buy a new one if it's not the screen.  Thanks!

2 Posts

September 13th, 2013 05:00

I am in same boat. Faint screen; I replaced screen with a new one including the inverter and backlight, same outcome. What is next after replacing screen with an inverter and backlight?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

If replacing the screen and inverter didn't work, verify that there is an image on an external monitor.  If there isn't, it could be the cover switch that's bad.  If there  is, the mainboard is bad.

2 Posts

Also, I do not get even 20 seconds of good screen....it comes up dark.....By the way, can use an external monitor if I want to---works fine.....I did run an updated virus scan as well, using a remote monitor to operate the computer. No viruses detected. Any next steps, anyone?

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

September 13th, 2013 13:00

Hi vpoppinc,

As ejn63 has said, connect an external monitor and check the display.

Refer the following link for more troubleshooting:

http://dell.to/1dI8rbH

Also run LCD BIST. Restart the computer by holding the “D” and Power button simultaneously.

Let me know the status.

No Events found!