Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 14th, 2009 14:00

XPS M1330 DVD drive

I have an xps m1330 Vista Home Pre 32 bit with an HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-S10N drive that used to work just fine, now it will only accept some cd-r disks. DVD, DVD-R/RW it just makes some noise for a minute or two then spits it back out. I tried updating the firmware, didn't help.  Tried restoring back a few days to when i know it worked, no good. Uninstallling and re-install? Nope......  Anybody have any ideas? Please?

4 Posts

April 25th, 2009 03:00

I suffer exactly the same problem, since some time, my DVD drive is unable to read DVD-R and also has some problems for recording them. I am using A103 firmware already. I probably will call to support center next monday but I would want to know if anybody has already suffered this and knows a possible solution.

I would also know if there would be alternatives for this Hitachi-LG device, as this is the sixth LG optical drive that has broken for me (well, if this one has also broke, all LG drives I have had would broke)

Thanks a lot

2 Posts

June 25th, 2009 07:00

Hi, I seem to be facing the same proble too. My XPS 1330 runs Windows Vista Home Premium and comes with a Matshita DVD+-RW UJ-857G ATA device. Its about a year old and in quite good condition, since i don't use it very often. The problem is that my warranty just expired last month, and I don't want to pay to extend it. Please help!

1 Message

June 28th, 2009 13:00

Hello everyone,

I have the same drive (HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-S10N) and the same problem, the firmware update doesn´t solve this issue. I tried to clean the DVDRW drive lens with a CD Laser Lens Cleaner, a compact disc that has a brush on its back (see the pics), and the problem was fixed, I think partially, because the drive still makes some noise for a minute, but at the end, it reads the discs. I think if the problem persists I would need to replace the DVDRW drive.

2 Posts

June 28th, 2009 14:00

I think it might be a virus. A month or so after the problem started my hard drive fried. I put in a new one reinstalled my original o.s. And its worked fine since
No Events found!