Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

August 17th, 2007 22:00

XPS M1330 - Fingerprint Reader won't work

Is anyone having problems with the Fingerprint reader.  Mine won't seem to activate (won't read) and the rare times it has read, it comes up with error messages.  I contacted Dell chat and a technician took control of my computer and got it going (though she didn't explain what she did so I could repeat it), but fingerprints were still being misread and generating error messages.  Since then, the scanner won't turn on.  My notebook is less than a week old and a tech person was supposed to show today but had to reschedule.  To be honest, I'm not thrilled about having my brand new computer opened up and repaired, especailly when I don't care that much about the fingerpint scanner (still, I paid for it).  So, I was just wondering if anyone had similar problems and perhaps fixed them.  Or it could be that the hardware scanner is just defective.  Thanks very much.  Aside from this, I really like the XPS M1330 . . . so far.

Harry

9 Posts

August 20th, 2007 17:00

MY XPS1330 is scheduled for delviery this week (at least thats what they say) so I'll definitely let you know, as I ordered specifically with the fingerprint reader, as it is supposed to be more secure. so expect something from me later this week.

I know all about computers having to be opened up right after purchase, this happened with my 640m and I was and still am unhappy with the system, nevermind the fact that the technicians that Dell contracts out, didnt seem t be that profesisonal. I have had nothing but problems with this system in FLorida we'd consider that a LEMON, still Dell never replaced it, it still isnt working that right.. So I bought the 1330. I'd be glad to share any info with you when I get it.
Take Care

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

August 20th, 2007 17:00

There are not alot of hits on this issue yet.

9 Posts

August 22nd, 2007 08:00

Well, I finally got my computer,  no hassles and the fingerprint reader works. I would say for now it is a hardware issue. Maybe have dell replace the scanner

Sorry and hope everything works out

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

August 22nd, 2007 11:00

Found this - Go into the fingerprint utility and set it up again, perhaps on a different finger. There is an icon on the desktop and one in the tray by the clock. Each finger can be coded. There is a calibration test to make sure the customer is preforming the action of swiping the finger correctly. If the finger is not moved identically the same way, it will not function. In the test, however, it will register as a failure. In regular use, tho, it will look completely unresponsive.

1 Message

November 14th, 2007 17:00

Hi I just bought my laptop from Dell with a fingerprint Reader but it will not work, dop you know where I can get a driver or a patch for this application

1 Message

November 18th, 2007 18:00

I just got a m1330 about 2 weeks ago. The finger print reader quit working. It will not scan prints. Does anyone know how to fix it? I probably wont use it but I paid a premium for it and would like it to work.

37 Posts

December 15th, 2007 13:00

I received my XPS M1330 on 3 Dec 2007 and the Fingerprint Reader has never worked. I have been in constant contact withTech Support trying to resolve this problem. A Tech came by my home and replaced the palm rest. It did not solve the problem. The latest response I received from tech support they will be sending me a Fingerprint Reader Suite Disk 5.6. When and if I ever receive this disk I was told I should uninstall the Fingerprint Reader and reinstall using the disk. I have been wait-
ting for the disk. Is DELL working to fix this problem?

14.4K Posts

December 15th, 2007 14:00

a tech vist and a communication with support ...looks like they are to me...

1 Message

October 18th, 2008 01:00

I have had my xpx m1330 for a couple weeks now and have had the same difficulty with the fingerprint reader as I see described here. 

I have found a partial solution.  if you Uninstal, and reinstal, (not repair) you can even keep your settings, and the key is that when you reinstall it will ask you the first time you enroll if you want to save your prints to the device, or the hard drive.  I have had MUCH better luck checking the hard drive. 

I do have a 7200 rpm drive, but I am guessing for this application it would not matter if you have a slower Hard drive.  I think that fingerprint reader just gets overloaded when you use it to store the prints on top of decoding them.

Anyway, since I have done that, I have not wanted to throw my brand new Laptop because of the print reader not working.  (when it doesn't work, I know because of how I swiped my finger, and I am not dumbfounded by 5 swipes in a row anymore. 

However, I can not get the Scroll feature to work no matter what I do to it.  I wonder if there are settings for that in the Mouse settings?

p.s. I also got Firefox to register by going to upek's website and downloading the correct update for my version of the software and following their install instructions.  the key is getting the right version.  the newest one is not the right one for the xps m1330.

2 Posts

November 2nd, 2011 08:00

I have a brand new dell Latitude E6320 with Contactless SmartCard Reader/Fingerprint Reader installed, I got my laptop to show the Biometric Devices item in the control panel but when I try to setup use of fingerprint for login, it says there are no fingerprint readers attached, in the device manager I can see Control Vault Device with Fingerprint swipe sensor, I have reinstalled the drivers for this but doesnt seem to make any difference, what am I missing?

No Events found!