Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

D

3 Posts

May 12th, 2008 20:00

XPS M1330 + Gift Card

I just wanted to let people out here on the forums know about Dell and their tactics to lure in customers with good deals (so it seems) by running gift card promotions.  Do not fall for this!!

I purchased a computer last year on 11/7/2007.  It came with an offer of a $200 gift card with any purchase over $1499.  I purchased an XPS M1330 laptop for just over $3,000.  I called Dell in January asking for the where-abouts of my gift card.  The person on the phone confirmed that I was "on the list for a $200 gift card".  The gentleman on the phone said that it should ship out late January and arrive early February.  I patiently waited and even gave an extra week for it to arrive.  Mid February rolls around and still no gift card...  I called Dell again (it being mid/late February) and I was told to give it a couple more weeks for it to arrive.  Once again, I wait patiently...  I call Dell back after a few more weeks (into March now) and I get a new response saying that the Dell gift cards were delayed and I should receive it in about 6-8 weeks.  It is now May and I still do not have the gift card that Dell owes me!  On this last bout of phone calls I first went from a representative in India, then to her supervisor, to the executive escalations department, and then to someone out of Texas.  The lady out of Texas pretty much told me "sorry all gift cards went out in March and there is nothing we can do.  I am closing your case!"  I told her to please provide proof that a giftcard was sent to me and she said she has no proof other than that a giftcard was sent out on December 16th, 2007!?!  That sure doesn't match up to what I was told in January...  That I was "on the list" for a giftcard to be sent to me late January / early February, now does it?!  I have already filed a complaint to the Better Business Bureau describing my situation and Dell has until the 26th of May to respond.

I would just like to inform Dell and everyone else on these forums that they (Dell) lost a valuable customer over a measly $200 giftcard.  Not only my business, but the majority of everyone's business that I associate with.  I'm the go-to person when it comes to ordering a new computer for a family member or the business and we'll be taking our money elsewhere.  $15,000 - $20,000 every year or two in additional sales might not be a big deal to a company the size of Dell but I am more than happy to take it where it is appreciated.  I suggest others do the same.

549 Posts

May 12th, 2008 22:00

When I purchased my M1530, Dell's promo to up the 3 year warranty to 4, it cost you $80 and you get a $70 gift card.

I ordered my M1530 in March. I received my Gift Card 2 weeks ago...

May 13th, 2008 13:00

Here's the link to how many people who have been having issues with Dell and their giftcard promotion.  I am definitely not the only one affected by this.

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=cc_general&thread.id=93901&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

3.9K Posts

May 13th, 2008 17:00

This is not good, particularly if it's widespead.  I hope this isn't one of those things where they just don't ship them to some people and hope they don't care...

I too would be doing the extra year of warranty + $70 gift card thing... 

May 13th, 2008 17:00

tigerwolf7,

I think that is exactly what they are doing.  They are betting that a certain percentage of their customers who purchased a computer because of this deal won't pursue obtaining their giftcard if they "forget" to send it.  This is very similar to a rebate program.  They are betting that the consumer will not go to the lengths of filling out all the necessary information correctly and on-time thus eliminating the extra savings but they were still able to attract the consumer with the lower marked price.

No Events found!