Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 23rd, 2009 17:00

XPS M1530 Battery & Charger

OK, the important stuff first: XPS M1530, 4Gb Ram, Vista Ultimate SP2 x64, 320Gb hdd, DVD-RW, 1920x1200 HD screen, 6 cell battery, 3yr warranty (23 months left)

The issue:  A couple of weeks ago my wall charger wouldn't do anything and then started to making a high pitched whine before coming on.  I thought nothing of it since all I did was unplug it and plugged it into another outlet.  Then, last night I shutdown my laptop (on the charger @ 100%) and this afternoon I started it up (on the battery).  Almost immediately after logging on, it shuts down, so I push the power button and logon again.  The low battery charge warning pops up saying I've got 3% charge left :emotion-40:.  Thinking I may have shut the lid before it completely shutdown (pretty sure I didn't since I wound up all the cords first), I plug the wall charger in.  It starts charging for a couple of minutes and stops at 7%, no warnings of course.  I reboot after 30 minutes and go into the BIOS to see what's going on and find the same.  I remove the charger plug several times, see that it registers, and observe that the battery health screen says that it's charging normally and the battery info screen says "Idle" @ 8% charged.  I load up Vista again and now have it at 8% charge (hovers around 7-8%) and not charging.  Sometimes I can wiggle and twist the connector in the socket and it will start charging for a second or more then stop again, the same in the BIOS.

I'm thinking that I have an issue with the power brick and the battery.What is going on?  What should I do?  What CAN I do?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 23rd, 2009 18:00

Start by calling Dell.  The power adapter IS covered by warranty, so if that's the problem, they'll replace it.  At 13 months old, however, the battery is NOT covered, so if it's the problem, the replacement will be at your expense.  From the sound of it, the adapter is what needs to be replaced.

73 Posts

June 23rd, 2009 19:00

Just got done talking to Dell on Hardware Chat.  They're sending an Onsite Technician out to replace the motherboard and AC adapter, they think the issue may be the socket the AC adapter plugs into.  This makes me glad I bought the warranty through 2011.

17 Posts

July 5th, 2009 15:00

Hey did that fix the issue?  I'm having the same problem with my battery, it's only charging up to 5%, but my battery warranty ran out literally a month ago, so if it's just the AC adapter i can at least get that replaced through my warranty still.

Thanks.

July 15th, 2009 10:00

I think it is just your battery.  I never had a whine sound come out of my AC adapter but just 3 months past my battery's one  year warranty it stopped charging.  Currently it sits reading 8% and not charging.  I think it was a batch of batteries purchased for this series of XPS that was engineered to fail outside of the warranty.  Consider yourself a victim of having been sold a bad part.  My wife's Inspiron battery lasted four years before hers had this problem.  I would try and make it a more public issue to change Dell's mind.

3 Posts

July 19th, 2009 20:00

Have you found out anything more?  My 1530 is about 14 months old and I am experiencing a similar problem.  The battery will not charge past 11%...When I highlight the battery icon in the tray at the bottom of the screen I get a message plugged in ,not charging.  As long as the AC Adapter is plugged in, the laptop works fine.  I just recently joined the dell community and when I signed up I allowed dell to provide "Alerts" to me concerning my laptop.  Immediately I got a message that the BIOS needs updating from Rev A07 to A09.  When viewing the old BIOS A07 version, i noted that the battery was not reconized or installed.  Updating to A07...at least the battery is reconized.  However, it did not fix the problem.  I read on some other threads here that the issue may be with the motherboard.  Have you or anyone else  heard anything about the problem being with the motherboard?

3 Posts

August 21st, 2009 14:00

I am having the exact same problem. charging to 5% and says" plugged in not charging" bought in june 08 so battery is out of warranty and have spent 5 hours with dell. first it was the mother board and then reset the bios and now they say it is the battery. this seems to be a common issue.  Whay can we do about it?????????????

1 Message

September 2nd, 2009 09:00

I have an xps m1530 and about a week ago it quit charging. I had a spare charger, but changing it did not work. I swapped the battery as well with no change. After surfing google I concluded that the motherboard was bad and I was pretty upset that a 15 month old computer was basically toast. I did one more search and someone had suggested that the BIOS should be updated or reverted back to version A09. I was running A06 so I gave it a try. To my amazement it worked!! I hope this works for you as well.

3 Posts

December 6th, 2009 09:00

It sounds like a lot of M1530 batteries are failing just a few months out of warranty. Happened to mine too. I've created a Google form to try to collect battery failure reports so we can ask Dell to recognize that there is a problem with this battery and have it included in their battery replacement program. (They've done this with other laptops before.)

The only way this will work is if we can get a sufficient number of responses. If your m1530 battery failed suddenly just a few months out of warranty, PLEASE take a minute to fill out this form:

http://tinyurl.com/ydx3ekf

No Events found!