Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

T

2 Posts

April 14th, 2008 18:00

XPS M1530 CD/DVD drive freezes the system

Hello All!

So, I have a DELL XPS M1530, whit a slot load optical drive. The problem is when I try to eject the disc from the optical drive, my whole system freezes until the disc is finally unloaded. I experienced this problem under Windows XP and Vista, and with both OS under setup environment. If I was listening to music, or watching movie, and I tried to eject the disc, the whole system freezed. If I was moving the cursor, and then I pressed the eject button the cursor freezed (stopped in one place) and the system freezed too for a few moments. If I was ejecting the disc from Win Explorer or My Computer, using the right click and Eject disc I couldn't experience that problem! Only with the eject button!

I had the mainboard, the bluetooth radio (which also went down) and the optial drive replaced by technician on site, and the problem is still exists. That technician said, that is not really a problem, because the notebook is using HW resources when I try to eject the disc. I think he was wrong, because the eject button has nothing to do with the processor, than how can it cause 100% processor usage? After a few days the Support finally decided that they will replace the whole notebook, and I will get another one with the same parameters, but the new M1530 has the very same problem!

If somebody ever experienced that problem  please write the solution for me. I have this notebook for almost 2 months now, and I can't use it, because having this problem.

17 Posts

April 14th, 2008 19:00

Dear Friend,

Its very normal..infact I myself have posted it on you tube. But i have also heard from the xps tech support guys. It happens to every lappy of this model. I dont know if you noticed it but if u were to right click and eject this freezing does not happen. It happens only when u use the touch sensitive keys to eject. It freezes any playing media not the computer as such.  According to them its due to the fact that the hard switch directly accesses control of the cd drive hence the interruption. Infact trying presssing it even if u are playing some file that is in the hard drive. You get the same results.

You get the same even if there is nothing to eject....and the eject key is pressed. Quite funny indeed. But all is well.. So dont worry. I have Blu ray drive on mine..So i do not know if it happens to normal cd drives. I presume they should.

anyway hope my explanation helps....cheers 

317 Posts

April 14th, 2008 19:00

Return.

2 Posts

April 14th, 2008 20:00

Thanks for your reply! I think I have to accept, that things work like that with this notebook. Thanks again your reply!

317 Posts

April 14th, 2008 20:00

Strange..........one spends money on a new notebook & accept the trash......thats why Dell has gone to dogs!

7 Posts

April 23rd, 2008 20:00

hello. how would you describe the drive's performance in general?

April 29th, 2008 18:00

I have this same problem with my XPS m1330. Only the hardware eject button causes the system to freeze up; the software context menu eject button does not. Annoying that a $1600 system has such a basic problem! Is there any way for Dell to fix this with a firmware upgrade or something?

RE the previous poster's question: my drive performs fine in general. It reads discs (CDs and DVDs) well. I am not sure if it writes to discs correctly as I haven't tried this yet. The only issue is the freezing when ejecting discs.

No Events found!