Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 30th, 2009 16:00

XPS M1530 - Died & Won't Revive

Thoughts on this:

My 15 or so month old M1530 was running fine, all of a sudden, while plugged into the A/C Adapter, it just stopped working... shut down, it appeared.  I attempted to re-start it, to no avail, the power button doesn't work.  I unplugged it from the A/C Adapter, still no good... I checked the surge protector, functioning fine...  So, I grab a couple of the power adapters, the one @ the desk and the travel one, and try them both; when connected to the outlet the nice little green light on them is illuminated, however, upon plugging either of them into the laptop, the light goes out.  I ordered a replacement battery, HOPING that the battery was the problem, still nothing... I'm out of ideas, anyone have anything?

November 7th, 2009 00:00

I finally made progress with my faulty XPS M1530.

Problem:

M1530 died suddenly, no power on plug-in adapter, it kills the AC adapter green light. If unplug AC-Adapter, it resets itself is ok again.

So the most possible problem is fried motherboard.

Solution:

1. I went on a bid a new M1530 Motherboard for ~$105 on ebay, it arrived in a weeks with 7day return policy.

2. Instructions for taking apart, this is a good link:  http://ahwee.com/how-to-disassemble-laptop-dell-xps-m1530

3. Personal note:

Use 3M masking tape to carefully tape and note all the screws.

Use a digital camera to take all the steps and details.

4. It took me about 5 hours to take apart and put things back. But it did not work when power up, the LCD is dark.

5. Worked with a hard core computer buddy, spend another 3 hours and figured out that the Memory is not fully plugged in. (* yes, the lock works even if you don't plug the memory fully in !).

6. Now it works.

7. Now I set up my heater very low and is buying a laptop cooler. (thanks Dell for making me green).

8. Next thing is to get rid of Vista.

Hope this help.

Charles. ;-

March 8th, 2010 21:00

I also have a M1530 that died just 20 days out of warranty. Power cut off, powered back up ran for about 5 mins, then shut off again and now nothing. I see your post that says if LED on adaptor goes out the mainboard is bad. Well, my power light on the adapter stays on, so does that mean it's not the mainboard? I think it's pretty sad that so many people are having the same problem just after the warranty runs out, especially just a few days after. I have always sang the praises of Dell, this is my 3rd Dell computer. But after this, I'm not so sure anymore. 

February 3rd, 2013 13:00

I have a xps M1530 it was working fine up to jan. 15 And next week all on a sudden it stops working .I tride all I can but failed What I can do to start it again.

No Events found!