Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 4th, 2010 18:00

XPS M1530 Display Issues

This issue started a few days ago but it has progressed to the point where I can no longer operate my computer. While playing a video, the video's picture would freeze, change (in that it would suddenly become highly pixelated and the colors would change strangely) and the sound would slow WAY down and stutter. The entire display would then be completely unresponsive, forcing me to turn it off via holding the power button down.

When I would subsequently turn it back on, it would not display normally. Instead, it would start out completely white or gray, then slowly fade into either black with vertical red stripes or total white. From there it would fade into white or black, respectively (sometimes blue like the login screen). There would be a solid vertical black bar between the webcam lens and the right rubber nub (my right). Also, along the edges of the screen, it would gradually become white in a texture that looks like the spray paint tool in MS Paint (note that this detail is not dynamic; it is like that from the moment I turn it on and does not change). A few restarts would cause the display to revert to normal as of a few days ago, but as of today, nothing will fix it. 

I've been having other issues with frequent BSODs lately, all occurring while watching videos.

I believe it might be an issue with the hardware due to the fact that I can still operate the computer to an extent. I can log in by typing in my password and hitting Enter, and I can hear all the sounds of my programs starting up, such as the Skype yawn. Also, after logging in, the display would fade to black (if it wasn't black already).

I'd be extremely grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction. This computer is my livelihood and what I do all my schoolwork on.

Misc. technical information:

Windows 7 Home Premium
4GB DDR2 SRAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS 

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

It's a bad video chip - these nVidia chips are known to be of faulty engineering.  If your system is less than a year out of warranty, see below.  If it's more than that, the cost of a replacement mainboard (which will have the same type of chip, similarly likely to fail in the future) mean it makes more sense to replace the system rather than repair it (there is no other video option in this model line).

http://en.community.dell.com/dell-blogs/Direct2Dell/b/direct2dell/archive/2008/08/18/nvidia-gpu-update-dell-to-offer-warranty-enhancement-to-all-affected-customers-worldwide.aspx

2 Posts

I took a trip to my local Best Buy to see a Geek Squad person about a solution. They corroborated this answer; it's either the graphics card or the motherboard. I didn't send it back to the manufacturer because of how little money I have; I was hoping for a cheaper solution than what they offered.

My system is several years old, so no chance on the warranty. So you're suggesting that I buy a whole new computer rather than repair my current one?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 4th, 2010 19:00

By the time you buy a board for that system - which will be $300 or more, and pay for the labor (another $100), you are well on your way to what a replacement system would cost.  The best you'll get is a 90-day warranty and another nVidia-based board, which is likely to fail down the road.  It's your call - but since you don't have an option for a different video chip, yes, I would strongly recommend replacement, not repair on this model.

With the M1330, you have the option of an Intel-based board.  With the 1530, it was never offered.

1 Message

February 25th, 2011 02:00

Hello,

Over the past few days I've been having almost the exact same issues and I was wondering if you managed to find a solution or if you just bought a new laptop? 

(It started with the computer freezing whilst watching video, which required restarting by holding down the power button.  It then turned on with a white-ish screen which slowly changed to black from the top right corner.  After leaving it off for an hour it started again as normal for about a day, but then started freezing again and now only starts with the white screen. I can still hear the start-up sounds though.  I tried to attach an external monitor (my tv) but there was still no picture.)

July 7th, 2013 15:00

FIX, TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK: The good thing about this model is the heatsink, and cpu are accessible without removing the whole motherboard. What you need to do is take off the big door on the bottom where the memory is located. Unscrew the heatsink and take it off. Remove the CPU and memory. Next go get a $15 heat gun at the local hardware store. You will see a chip that says "NVIDIA" on it.  Hit the nvidia chip with high heat in a circular motion for 120 seconds. Be careful not to hit the plastic or any plastic because it will melt and cause damage.  Once it cools off it should work normal again.  You may have to do this every couple of weeks. For a better fix, remove the motherboard, wrap it in aluminum foil, hit the bottom of the board with low heat for 120 seconds to heat up all the solder.. Then hit the nvidia chip on high heat for 300 seconds. Most refurb boards with 30 day warranty are ones that failed that this has been done to. If you want a permenant fix you need to modify the heatsink with extra copper plate. I would also use arctic silver on all chips

No Events found!