Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

C

1 Message

November 11th, 2008 14:00

XPS M1530 Internal Microphone

I'm just trying to figure out how to get my internal microphone working again. My Vista crashed about a month ago and reinstalled all of the restoration software and all of the drivers. After all of that my internal microphone shows that it is not there in the control panel. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

26 Posts

November 11th, 2008 14:00

In the sound devices, you should see the Sigmatel Audio Codec listed. [Also, typing DEVICE (doesn't have to be in CAPS) into the Start Search box without pressing enter will show you the Device Manager in the menu where you can check to see if the Sigmatel Audio is recognized.] There is a tab at the top (in sound devices [Sound and Audio should still be in Control Panel, even if microphone isn't]) for recording devices and there should be a way to add a new device. After you make sure that you have the Sigmatel recognized, you get to the Recording Devices tab and select it as an array microphone, the rest of the options require no manipulation usually, unless you want to turn up the volume i suppose. Once that's done, you still have to find the properties for your microphone to enable the feature called "Mic Boost" and you'll have a great microphone. I hope my instructions aren't too erratic.

for drivers, type support.dell.com (support takes the place of the usual www) and type in your service tag after clicking on wherever it says drivers and yer solid.

Cheers.

November 28th, 2008 12:00

PLease extcept my apology in advance i don''/t  mean to hi jack this thread but please help

since dell  changed the forums i still can not figure out what the world to do

how do i post a stinking new thread LOL

its inposible to figure out hwo this works please don';t think i am hi jacking please help

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 29th, 2008 04:00

PuppyFromCleveland,

Go to the Laptop Audio board's main page and click "start a new thread" right below the gray bar that has your name. It is just above the "sort by" bar.

1 Message

February 11th, 2009 06:00

When I tried to run the Sigmatel installer from Dell on Vista Enterprise 32-bit, it would try for a while then fail saying that the device is not present and I should restart and run the installer again. I tried this to no avail. In order to get the sigmatel drivers from dell to install, I had to:

1. Restart
2. Uninstall the audio device that Vista installed through the device manager by
expanding the sound section, right-clicking the HD audio device and selecting
uninstall then Ok.
3. Run the Sigmatel installer from Dell

It might ask you to reboot again.

1 Message

March 8th, 2009 13:00

Hi

This is Santro..I am also having same problem with my inspiron 1420..I re-installed vista os. but my microphone is not working ..i have installed latest drivers from dell support and also seeing in the recording menu as microphone but its not working...

2 Posts

August 28th, 2009 11:00

I HAVE A DELL 1720 AND THE INTERNAL MIC NEVER WORKED. I GOT IT TO WORK. FOLLOW THESE STEPS AND HOPEFULLY IT WILL WORK FOR YOU ALSO.

1. GO TO DELL OFFICIAL WEBSITE AND CLICK ON SUPPORT

2. CLICK ON DRIVERS & DOWNLOADS

3. CHOOSE YOUR PRODUCT MODEL AND PRODUCT LINE AND ALSO PRODUCT NUMBER FROM THE LIST. CLICK ON CONFIRM

4. YOU WILL SEE RESULTS. THIS IS AN AUDIO PROBLEM SO CLICK ON AUDIO AND THEN ON THE DRIVER CALLED "SIGMATEL"

5. DOWNLOAD AND SET UP FOLLOWING THE USUAL DOWNLOAD INSTRUCTIONS. 

THIS SHOULD WORK FOR YOU AND SOLVE YOU INTERNAL MIC ISSUES. NOW I CAN SKYPE AND USE GOOGLE CHAT PERFECTLY WITH INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL MICROPHONES.

22 Posts

November 10th, 2010 08:00

hi did you get this fixed as i have the same problem i did how ever take my keyboard out as i need to change the touch pad but then stopped and put it all back together and i thought all was well as i did not touch any cables as the main cable is the center 1 and as far as i no the webcam and microphone are on the 1 cable and the web cam works fine and i have sound i have looked at both ends of the cable and both are connected and it also show as recording device working but it does not show up the only other thing was i updated the bioes to a12 but im sure it was at a12 anyway ...so does anyone no is there a diffrent driver for the mike as i cant think of any other thing to try   

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 16th, 2010 04:00

Take a look at What is the Integrated Webcam and Digital Array Microphone. At the bottom of that page there is a link to a troubleshooting wizard named "Problem with the Integrated Web Camera" Wizard ID 297119. You will be asked to submit the model name of your computer and its operating system, then you can select the type of problem you are having, which is "The microphone is not working". This wizard is a good place to start diagnosing your problem and it will walk you through all of the steps to configure the camera & mic array. It will show you how to run the Dell Diagnostics tests on the webcam to find out if the hardware has failed and where to get help if it has. It has the details of the several pieces of software to reinstall if the hardware is okay.

22 Posts

November 16th, 2010 08:00

use exsplorer i was on google crome and firefox and it would not download but on exsplorer it was fine not that it solved my problem i have orderd i new webcam and mic as i cant think of any other thing apart from the mic or cable not working as i was taking it apart and got as far as the keyboard and put it all back then the mic stoped working the cable is right under the keyboard and is the same 1 for the webcam as far as i no i did not touch it but have since reopend it and took cable of and on and same on the lcd scrren bazel and all looks fine drivers are fine it tell me its there and working but it does not work very strange so will try the new 1 and let you all no how i get on ..then its only the touchpad to fix lol 

22 Posts

November 22nd, 2010 09:00

just to update you have now got a new mike installed it is working but not as good as it should and also there is no mike boost that is only on the exsternal mike so off to try and install a diff driver will let you lot no how i got on

22 Posts

November 22nd, 2010 10:00

ok at last got this fixed replaced the with new mic and still was no good it was working just not very well so tryed to reinstall the sigma tell driver but could not install as was getting error message 5009 0x800281d has occurred while running setup the found out how to fix that kb.calyxsupport.com/kb/article.php?id=394 so at last all fixed 

1 Message

February 23rd, 2011 10:00

I too have a dell m1530 with windows vista. My laptop will not recognise the internal mic and i really need it for skype. I have uninstalled the sigmatel driver software and reinstalled and still no recognition. speakers work fine.

Anyone able to help as this is really fustrating.

Thanks

No Events found!