February 25th, 2008 01:00

XPS M1530 Virtual (VT) Setting in BIOS

XPS 1530 A07

T7500 Core 2 DUO Proc

4 GB Ram

160 GB 7200 rpm HD

Vista Ultimate x64

-----------------------

I am trying to figure out why I Dell hasn't provided the capability to turn on Virtualization in the BIOS.  I checked the Intel site and know for a fact that my processor is capable of running VT.  My coworker has an older XPS 1330 and has the setting available to him in his BIOS (though ia m not sure of the rev).  I have googled for a solution but have come up short thus far.  The one response I did find from a Dell rep basically gave a talk off saying that processors have can vary from machine to machine.  I know for a fact that may processor is capable of running VT and am just waiting for Dell to deliver a BIOS version that will allow me to invoke it.  I am running VMWare Workstation 6.02 and would like to take advantage of running 64-bit hosts.  Anybody have an idea on what Dell is planning on doing?

Message Edited by RMDude on 02-24-2008 09:05 PM

1.5K Posts

February 26th, 2008 18:00

RMDude

I'm checking into this for you.

7 Posts

February 28th, 2008 12:00

What's the status on checking why/when the VT will become available in the BIOS?

I'm returning my XPS M1530 TODAY if I don't see anything soon (TODAY)...

Can't believe the XPS M1330 has penryn along with VT support all along, and the 1530 doesn't - what are you guys thinking?

9 Posts

February 29th, 2008 02:00

I am anxiously waiting to hear what Dell has to say.

7 Posts

February 29th, 2008 09:00

This a simple question.  I confused as to why it is taking so long to get the response especially since machines out the door are coming back because of this.

1.5K Posts

February 29th, 2008 16:00

@cicorias wrote:

This a simple question.  I confused as to why it is taking so long to get the response especially since machines out the door are coming back because of this.

It's been 5 days since this thread was started, how long do you think it should takes to find out why something was not included, then try a persuade the people that made that decision that it should be?

7 Posts

February 29th, 2008 18:00

It's more the fact that XPS support indicated verbally on the phone that it would be in the next BIOS - which should've been A07. So, it's more clarification if at all it's going to happen vs. still in discussion.

From what I gather as your response, it hasn't been decided to be included.  So, the XPS support rep was not truthful in those conversations - I'm not the only one who heard it.  it's on IdeaStorm that another user heard it from Support.

I appreciate that you are trying to both be honest and direct about the reality of where it stands.  I'm dissappointed in how XPS support has handled this.

1.5K Posts

February 29th, 2008 19:00

@cicorias wrote:

From what I gather as your response, it hasn't been decided to be included. 

No, I was just trying to make a point, things take time. I don't know if it is going to be in the next bios or not, I am trying to find out.

9 Posts

March 1st, 2008 10:00

I appreciated the time being taken.  When dealing with Support I received nothing but a talk off.

3.9K Posts

March 1st, 2008 15:00

This probably isn't helpful, but are you sure it's virtualization features aren't just turned on by default?  (I guess VMWare would probably tell you.)  And are you running the newest BIOS for it?

Some of Intel's lower end chips don't support it, but I'd think the 7500 would.

2 Posts

March 1st, 2008 16:00

I can tell you that I am running V07 of the BIOS and that Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 reports "Note: Hardware-assisted virtualization is not available on this computer", which means that VT is not enabled.  I also look forward to this answer, as my "old" XPS M1210 had this option in the BIOS, so I was surprised to find it missing on the M1530.

3.9K Posts

March 1st, 2008 16:00

Huh.  I wonder what the issue is, what's involved with letting it be active.  I would have guessed it wasn't a big deal, that the system didn't really have to do anything to let the CPU use those instructions.

It wouldn't be a huge point for me one way or the other since virtualization still works without it and I don't use it much (yet anyway), but since the chip supports it...

7 Posts

March 1st, 2008 19:00

No.  It's an explicit option.

Neither VMWare nor Virtual PC allow HW virtualization - it shows it as "un-available".

I have a Lenovo T61 with same Chipset & Processor - it's in the BIOS setting.

Also, I have an XPS 1330 - it's also a BIOS setting under POST section and that BIOS is A07.

9 Posts

March 2nd, 2008 03:00

Clarification.  I am running VMWare Workstation 6.02 in a Vist x64 Ultimate environmnet.  It loaded as an x86 app and you cannot create a 64-bit host OS.  I have setup other 32-bit OS without incident.  I also upgraded to to A07 last week and was disappointed....again.  Futhermore, VMWare has a utility that is suppose to tell you whether or not you able to run the 64-bit version of thier app (which would allow you to create 64-bit guests)  I ran it, and it said "Yup, you got the goods.  So when it didn't work I went back to VMWare and found that after I read the fine print that it will simply report whether or not you processor is capable of running VT. It doesn't check to see if it is enabled.  Once again it is turned off by default.

Message Edited by RMDude on 03-01-2008 11:38 PM

9 Posts

March 2nd, 2008 03:00

The other is is that one cannot run 64-bit OS in VMWare.  The processor is first rate by today's standards and I have no qualms about its performance.  The issue is why the VT setting is unvailable in the BIOS.  Below is the output from Intel's ID Util.  It clearly states the proc is VT capable.  By default it is turned off, hence here we are.

Intel(R) Processor Identification Utility
Version: 3.7.5.20080122
Time Stamp: 2008/03/02 05:22:55
Number of processors in system: 1
Current processor: #1
Cores per processor: 2
Disabled cores per processor: 0
Processor Name: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7500 @ 2.20GHz
Type: 0
Family: 6
Model: F
Stepping: B
Revision: B3
L1 Instruction Cache: 2 x 32 KB
L1 Data Cache: 2 x 32 KB
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Packaging: µFCPGA/µFCBGA
EIST: Yes
MMX(TM): Yes
SSE: Yes
SSE2: Yes
SSE3: Yes
SSE4: No
Enhanced Halt State: No
Execute Disable Bit: Yes
Hyper-Threading Technology: No
Intel(R) 64 Architecture: Yes
Intel(R) Virtualization Technology: Yes
Expected Processor Frequency: 2.20 GHz
Reported Processor Frequency: 2.20 GHz
Expected System Bus Frequency: 800 MHz
Reported System Bus Frequency: 800 MHz

7 Posts

March 13th, 2008 12:00

Already did; the XPS support indicated that bios A07 would have VT support.  It doesn't.

No Events found!