Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 19th, 2009 21:00

XPS M1530 - fed up...

I've had my laptop for a little over a year.  Dell has already replaced the power cord, the hard drive, and the motherboard.  I'm still having the same issue (won't boot to Windows - hangs at the Dell screen, then white cursor at the top left of a black screen.)  Happens a lot, though not 100% of the time.  I feel like I've been given the run around with tech support and at this point, I'm so frustrated!

After everything has been replaced I still get this:

"Regarding the issue with the laptop boot, the black screen with the blinking cursor indicates that the computer tries to load windows from the hard disk, but has a problem in doing so. hence, we will run disgnostics on the hard drive to verify."

By hard disk, should I assume they mean the hard drive? And would that be a problem with the hard drive itself? And if so, since they've already replaced the darn thing once, why the heck am I still doing these steps???

And now my new issue. I went online tonight to get updates for my drivers, hoping that would help. I enter my service tag... and it tells me that my XPS M1530 is... a Latitude 5500?!?!? And then when I click on information, it shows that it was shipped from CANADA on March 3, 2009! Ummm... I've had this machine since 2008 and it sure as heck came from the US where I live! I can't find a way of changing the information - I can't contact tech support because they say:

Our records indicate that your service tag belongs to a system that was purchased outside the United States.

I've been a loyal Dell customer for about 7 years now...  but after having had this laptop & all of the issues I've gone through this year, I'm done!  I swear, it's making me want to go Mac.

*sigh*  Sorry for the vent post, but I had to get that out of my system - plus hope that maybe, just maybe, someone that speaks my language (sorry, but I am sick & tired of companies sending out tech support to foreign countries where there is a language barrier) might have had the same issue or have advice.

Whew...  Ok, deep breath.  Just that the service tag issue tonight put me over the edge. 

Any help?  insight?  Ideas?  Aside from kicking Dell in the butt?

Karen

3 Posts

August 20th, 2009 05:00

1.  Yup, correct service code.  I entered it manually & also had their own reading of it, just to be sure.

2.  Still under warranty until next year, thankfully.  I've emailed tech support via an email reply I had about the blinking cursor issue earlier this year.  Glad I saved it.  Added on the new problem with the service code.

Appreciate any help...  I'm much calmer this morning, despite having gone through 4 cold-boots because yet again, it hit the blinking cursor...  *sigh*  Mac sounds so good right about now.  :(

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

Ah, the grass is always greener in the next yard:

http://www.appledefects.com/wiki/index.php?title=MacBook_Pro

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

First, be sure you are entering the correct service tag - are you reading it from the label or the BIOS setup?

Second queestion:  is the system still under warranty, or did you have a 1-year warranty?

3 Posts

August 20th, 2009 07:00

I don't expect a computer to be perfect (sad to say).  However, I am a big believer in customer service - and so far, Dell's has been a far cry from stellar handling my situation.  Maybe I won't get a Mac, but I sure as heck won't be getting another Dell after this.  Sad, as we've had nothing but Dells for so many years now.

Aside from informing me the grass is always greener (because we all know that's true without saying) - does anyone have some advice or insight for me?  Anyone with a similar problem?

4 Posts

August 21st, 2009 17:00

Karen

i posted tonight on my M1730, i have been a dell customer for years, over 5 machines, but my experience with the m1730 will probably end my relationship with dell.  i had virtually the same experience with you over the last year, 4 power supplies, new hard drive, and sent back for diagnosis, during the first year.  warranty expired on Jun 18 (which was a hugh mistake on my part), now, not even two months later, i can even get the machine to power up.

did dell resolve your issue?

No Events found!