Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 9th, 2010 14:00

XPS M1530 no video

I was keeping my laptop in sleep mode for a couple days and when I tried to restarted my laptop nothing came up on the screen. The computer turns (you can hear it starting up and the lights turn on) but the screen doesn't display anything. No color, no flickers, NOTHING. When connected to an external monitor (through an HDMI cable) the bios and everything shows up on the external monitor but not on the laptop screen. Fn+F8 does nothing but cause the screen on the external monitor to flicker. Removing the battery and discharging the computer doesn't help either.

Oddest thing is that the monitor will sporadically work on the laptop. Usually it will work if I leave the laptop off an alone for a period of time (ranges from a couple minutes to an entire day). When the monitor is working, it works perfectly well. Although if I go into sleep mode, hibernation, log off, restart, or turn off the computer the screen will resume not working most of the time (sometimes it works).

Also, when the monitor isn't working the fan doesn't turn on unless the laptop gets pretty hot. I'm also running linux (Ubuntu) and after the BIOS loads (I'm assuming it loads) nothing happens unless I press enter into GRUB to select linux. Also, after the BIOS loads if i shut the monitor and open it again I will get a VERY dim horizontally split screened image (the two halves of the screen mirror each other). The bottom image will cut off at the bottom and the image is distorted with vertical lines however. All commands work in this split screen but it stops working when linux loads and I return to a blank screen. The OS does load however since I can go through shut down functions (by pressing the key order to shut down at the login screen).

When I did a pre-boot diagnostic (which also doesn't show an image but the split screen works) I got a series of beeps and flashing lights which correspond to error code 0321: LCD EDID-unable to access EDID EEPROM. Also, pressing D+the power button will display a series of colors like its supposed to but after that the screen resumes to not work. I haven't found anyone else with this specific problem online and my warranty is expired as the laptop is a few months over 2 years old. Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530; Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS (updated to latest Nvidia driver)

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 9th, 2010 16:00

If the external monitor shows a good image - and in light of the errors you're seeing - you need to replace the display panel.

6 Posts

March 14th, 2011 20:00

did it turn out to be an lcd issue or something else?

I have the exact same problem and well out of warranty... i am ready to replace the LCD but wanted to make sure that fixed the problem.

1 Message

June 19th, 2011 09:00

Did you ever find a resolution to this problem? I am troubleshooting an XPS M1530 with the exact same symptoms.

November 17th, 2011 14:00

I also had the same exact problem with my 1530. Dell told me I needed a new monitor and tried charging me 350$. I bought a replacement off another site for much cheaper. worked perfectly for w eek and today im back to where I was before. this could be your problem and I might just have something else wrong with my computer. any other suggestions would be appreciated

December 28th, 2011 07:00

hi, i have a very similar problem with my m1530, did anyone mange to reslove the issue

many thanks

2 Posts

December 28th, 2011 12:00

Hiya, unfortunately I never found the solution to the problem and decided to purchase a new laptop. After researching for a while I narrowed the solution to probably being either replacement of the monitor or the motherboard (in order to replace the GPU I believe). It seemed that problems with either device would produce similar if not the same issue and I found no way of telling which solution would work, as replacing the monitor worked for some people with a similar issue while others needed to replace the motherboard and replacement of the monitor did nothing. Good Luck and I hope you find a solution!

December 29th, 2011 00:00

hi, thanks for the reply, sorry about the spelling in my post above,  i was using the laptop on an external monitor...

i looked on youtube and there was loads of people having the same problem who seemed to be re heating the GPU chip to re establish a soldered joint which would make sense.

my screen did start to work fine at one point but when i re started it was back to black and at one point the screen lost its widescreen but was still functioing fine at the width it was but very dull.

all very odd, if i dont find a solution i might take a blow torch to the chip...nothing to lose....

thanks again for taking the time to reply

1 Message

March 7th, 2015 18:00

I also have the problema that I cannot see the video, sometimes my computer was well, but other times the monitor not working, and some weeks ago the screen don't work. I don't know what I can do.

No Events found!