Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 21st, 2010 16:00

XPS M1530 overheating and shutting down

I purchased my XPS 1530 from Walmart in May, 2008, and unfortunately it is out of warranty now.  If I do simple websurfing, or other simple tasks, it seems all ok, but the second I start playing a Video game, especially when an external monitor is hooked up, it just shuts down.  I turn it over and the bottom around the fan is so hot, I cant hardly touch it.  The fan appears to be running, but just not cooling.

I have been reading all over the NET that the M1530 has this issue.  I realize that my warranty is long over, but I am wonder what can be done to fix this?  I spent over $1200 for a laptop that has only lasted me 2 1/2 years, and I am pretty upset that what I see as a major manufacturing defect, has not been addressed by DELL for customers of this Laptop.  WHAT CAN I DO WITH THIS PIECE OF JUNK?  Thanks...

20 Posts

December 21st, 2010 18:00

I suggest that you contact dell- extend your warrenty (roughly 400.00 US)and have a tech fix it. Best Buy can do it but their work is shoddy and they will over charge you by 50%. Thats my $.02 worth

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

December 21st, 2010 19:00

If you've been using it for 2.5 years and have never cleaned the heatsink, it's probably clogged with dust.  Give it a thorough cleaning.

This is maintenance - not a defect.   If you let your brake pads wear to the point where they no longer stop the car, it's not the manufacturer's fault.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

January 8th, 2011 15:00

No, that would be the chipset.

Heatsink-fan assembly:

http://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=5206

January 8th, 2011 15:00

Well, its gotta be more than that.  I took it apart, blew it out with a good air supply, and had almost no dust what-so-ever!  I put it back together with arctic silver on all 3 pads, and booted it up.  The fan will start to spin when the pc is going through the bootup process, and then it will stop.  It wiggles like its getting power, but I think its gone out.  So, where can I get a new fan assembly?

What is that third chip?  I see the NVIDIA chip top left, and the CPU bottom right, but what is that big chip above the CPU?  Is it the BIOS chip?  Its square and about the same size as the CPU chip.  Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

January 8th, 2011 18:00

Look at the link posted in the message above yours.

January 8th, 2011 18:00

Any place I can get a new one, maybe cheaper than Dell's $58 price? 

January 23rd, 2011 17:00

Well I replaced the fan assembly, it seems to be working now.  So I will see if it correct the constant reboots when playing WOW!

January 27th, 2011 08:00

I am still thinking that its a faulty GPU, because now I am getting random video driver crashes.  One example is when I am playing a DVD, it will crash, and after rebooting the driver, it says something about a security issue with the display.  I have tried this on both the builtin display, and an external monitor, and its doing it too.

No Events found!