Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 30th, 2010 03:00

XPS M1530 with mega low FPS in TF2

Hi,

I'm not great a techy stuff, but I'm a bit gutted that my XPS has conked out on me. It works for everything else except gaming, one of the reasons I bought it! In game, even with the graphics really low, it still gets FPS 24-12 sometimes even lower.

I contacted Dell earlier in the year and they gave me a list of things to check.

1) I cleared the fan with compressed air

2) Updated the system Bios

3) Ran the PSA diagnostics for fan and thermal sensors, it passed them all.

Aside from the instructions they gave me, I also looked on forums and:

4) Updated the chipset drivers.

5) Got a fan cooler for under the laptop.

But it is still rubbish, not sure what my next move is.

Any help you can suggest would be really really appreciated,

Thanks,

Jo

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 30th, 2010 05:00

Is the system running abnormally hot?  If so, check (and replace) the thermal contact material between the heatsink and CPU and GPU.

July 31st, 2010 10:00

Thanks for the reply. The problem occurs from the second you enter a game, when the GPU is about 60 degrees celsius, so I'm not sure it is an overheating issue.

I am able to get a steady 60 fps by using a super low graphics config and super low-poly models, but this laptop should easily be able to handle TF2 on decent settings.

1.2K Posts

July 31st, 2010 18:00

actually i have a M1530 with a 8600M GT honestly with a 32 man server i play regularly i was lucky to get  decent playable fps 40-60  i forced a DX8 level and i got 40-50's but some maps it still sucked and i used  normal settings hell my M17X dual 280's averaged 100 area dropping to 20-30's on some maps in some battles  before its sloded but thats another story  unfortunatly the 8600M being a 256 card cant handle much unless u got the 8400M  then its even worst :(

August 1st, 2010 06:00

Aww man, that sucks. Mine could definitely handle it beforehand, as in when I went to play it and it was rubbish I noticed straight away. It was like I turned it on and my FPS was about 40-50 lower than normal :(

Is it possible to replace the graphics card in my laptop?

1.2K Posts

August 1st, 2010 09:00

nope unfortunatly the M1530 is soldered on to the board atleast this was the case with all 3 times my board was replaced   i ran in DX8 it wasnt  to bad flames and stuff looked not as pretty but ran fine more people on a server = more you need to render, and more and more updates and more stuff put into the game

1.2K Posts

August 1st, 2010 14:00

yea all 3 times it was replaced by dell under warranty i had the 4 year in home high priced warranty  still under warranty now   ..

reason game is getting harder to play can be to much stuff on computer slowing it down (partial reason)

windows updates and updates and updates i backdated my M1530 to XP media center instructions are all over performance went up a bit from vista

depending on CPU aswell has alot to do on what video can do i had a T7800 i beleive  (parents have it now)

game updates are like windows can make a system run   and play slower  

unfortunatly if you tried alot of things and to no luck your out of luck unless u wannna try xp  and a clean install  i found mine ran crysis decent at fair settings with xp anyway

August 1st, 2010 14:00

Yeah, I'm running the DX8, its playable but I should be able to play it with the full graphics like I used to. I'm a bit gutted to be honest. When you got the board replaced, did you get it replaced by Dell? How much did it cost? Did it fix the problem? Thanks for all your help by the way :)

No Events found!