Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

August 17th, 2009 03:00

XPS M1710 graphics driver issue

Hi guys,

I have a problem similar to the one described here http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19244960/19381625.aspx#

Basically, during gaming my laptop crashed, and then on restart the Dell logo screen was covered in green dots or lines, such as youd expect from a dodgy graphics card. The system proceeds to show the Windows loading screen (with no distortions) and then simply hangs indefinitely with a blank screen. This has happened before, but usally rectifies itself after a power down. Not so in this case.

I am able to start in safe mode, and once the nVidia drivers have been uninstalled and cleaned from the system, the computer boots fully into Windows, and though the Dell startup screen in still distorted, the Windows display is fine, apart from poor resolution due to lack of proper drivers. Reinstalling the latest drivers from nVidia and Dell cause the system to hang on reboot as before. Running the F12 extended diagnostics does not throw up any problems.

I'm running an XPS M1710 laptop with Windows 7 installed, with an nVidia Geforce Go 7950 GTX graphics card. I have not installed any new drivers/hardware prior to the crash.

Any thoughts?

Edit: Suddenly this is fixed - but i thought I'd mentino it in case anyone else has the same issue. Though it's not very scientific - I got so frustrated that i gave my computer a thump (nothing too violent)

Hey presto, like new!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 17th, 2009 06:00

Brace  yourself for a re-occurrence, because the card is showing signs of impending failure.

No Events found!