Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 18th, 2009 13:00

XPS M1730 GPUs overheating

Have an issue with the 2 8800M GTXs in my M1730. Even in Vista when idling (with SLi enabled or disabled, doesn't matter) my GPUs will be sitting around the 70C mark (this is with Aero disables, so no 3D desktop). While gaming they have reached over 90C and on at least 2 occasions have caused a bios thermal protection shutdown.

I have been running it on both a NotePal and a Crylo LX cooling pad without much success. Putting two wine corks between the laptop and my Cryo LX has helped allot but the fact is the fans aren't kicking into high gear early enough. They're barely moving above 65C, at 75C they go a little faster and at 85C they kick into a faster gear (but still not full speed).

Anyone know of any solution to get these laptops fans going into high gear? lk8fan can only turn one fan on and RivaTuner and NVidia PC Tools can't change the fan speeds.

My old Alienware had a bios enable key sequence (Fn-F2) to put the fans into high gear and that work great. I wish Dell would do something similar.

No Responses!
No Events found!