Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 9th, 2009 18:00

XPS M1730 Power Issues

I have an XPS m1730 laptop that was shipped July 31, 2008.   You get the idea with the one year warranty expiring 8 days ago. 

The Laptop is configured with XP Pro and has not blurped one bit since I got it.  Doesn't get moved,  works primarily as a desktop unit.  Periodically do maintenance on it, (blow out dust in fans, clean the desk etc)  Today, I come into my home office, and power it up.  Boots normally as always but after getting online noticed the battery icon displayed.  Checked the brick and it was on.  Checked the cables, all plugged in.  I noticed no battery charger / status LED on the right of the palm rest.  I checked the +center pin voltage with my DVM and obtained a 19.72 volts DC.  The battery is fully charged.  However nothing I do can cause the battery to start charging and the laptop function off the brick.

I realize about the tri wire configuration of the brick.  ground, +voltage, and voltage sense.  As beefy as the cable to the 230 watt supply is I doubt there is a cable fault.  I checked anyway.  Good continuity.

So that leaves the laptop.  Could this be:  a)  bad power port  b)  bad hall effect voltage management board  or c) motherboard since everything else is running great?

Could an SMD fuse be blown somewhere on the MB? 

Would appreciate help and feedback before I start the torture process tomorrow of contacting DELL and getting beaten severely about the head and shoulders.

Thanks much!

14.4K Posts

August 9th, 2009 19:00

Be aware that since you are out of warranty Dell will charge you or talk you into getting a extended warranty. However if they deem this a battery issue there is no warranty on it.

If you are not charging it can be any of the three, the adapter, motherboard, or battery itself. only way to really test is to get another adapter to test it.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

August 9th, 2009 20:00

Unless there's something wrong with the mainboard, the system will run with only an adapter - no battery installed.

5 Posts

August 9th, 2009 20:00

Thank you for your input!

Will the Laptop run without a battery with just a brick plugged in like some others or do you know of such?  Because it will not without a battery, which in this case may be normal.

Thank you again!

5 Posts

August 10th, 2009 06:00

Thanks!

Then I am suspecting, mainboard.  There is no documentation for troubleshooting other than the removal of the Power Management Module, and since its a Hall Effect type that is prob charging for battery ops.  

I just hate it when the ENTIRE machine runs great and has for one year.  STILL runs great.  But we are going to have to go the MB direction because of a power problem..

I wish there were real service manuals available for these.  Instead of monkey manuals, and owners manuals

Thanks again !

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

March 17th, 2010 15:00

Hello All-

I just got my new 230 watt power supply.  My 21 month-old M1730 laptop was interrupting boot up to tell me that the power supply was not recognized, that the battery would not charge, and that performance would be reduced.  It seemed the adapter was supplying power, since the battery icon did not appear in the system tray, but the computer definitely slowed down.  The blue LED in the power brick still lit up, but I didn't measure output voltage.

This problem had previously happened on a few very rare occasions, but had cleared up by unplugging and re-plugging the adapter back into the wall.  Now however, the problem persisted despite reboot and several attempts in different outlets.  I have always been extremely careful not to apply any force to the power cord where it enters the computer as I have seen people do this and break connections to the motherboard- destroying their computer.

From what I've seen online, these symptoms show a problem indicating either some sort of motherboard problem, or something blown in the power supply brick.  Hoping for the cheaper problem I decided to order a new power adapter, figuring if that didn't fix the problem then the motherboard was the culprit.

I went online searching for a replacement power supply, but the cheapest, at around $70, was offered at some sort of questionable-looking sites.  I grittled my teeth and ordered a new adapter from Dell, and selected the 7 day shipping option- since it was free.   The adapter was $119, and with tax the order clocked in at $127.  My reasoning was that if the adapter didn't solve the problem then returning it to Dell would be easier than some questionable supplier.  Plus, some sites might sell me a used supply as new, and if so then I'd be that much closer to having the same problem all over again.

To my surprise the adapter arrived less than 24 hours later.   The supply was shipped from Ohio, which is adjacent to my home state of Michigan.  Even so, I was impressed that the no-cost option took on the appearance of "overnight" shipping.

So far the problem appears to be solved by using the new power supply, *whew!*

No Events found!