Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

G

5 Posts

November 8th, 2007 11:00

XPS M1730 SLI problems

My shiny new 1730 locks up tighter than a drum soon after I enable SLI mode.. I hadn't ready any complaints so I presumed I was unlucky and had a faulty unit..

After speaking to XPS Support, they tell me this is a known issue and I should run the system with SLI disabled until replacement drivers are available..

Can't say I'm thrilled, as the main reason I bought the 1730 was because of SLI..

I'm a little nervous too,  no time frame was given for the drivers..

Has anyone else had the same SLI issues??????? 

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

November 8th, 2007 13:00

GagReflex,

The PC locks up or MediaDirect 3.3 locks up?

November 8th, 2007 18:00

I know Dell has provided their drivers, but these aren't the best drivers around, nor are they new either. I'm not sure on the Ageia issue with most people, but the video card one is pretty bad, at least by those contacting me outside of the forum. It is the cart before the horse, and I don't know why there was a rush on that laptop from dell to get it out before drivers would ever be available, officially. It really doesn't matter now, but even Nvidia doesn't have them, not even betas, so yes, SLI will be weird for a while until the first official driver release. It will lock up pc's. Why, why, why do they do this. It also gives a bad representation off the benchmarks on this card. We'll see soon. They will be out, so for now enjoy what you can out of the machine that gets half crippled on the gpu side. Watch for Betas on Nvidia, or any of the sites trying to get these drivers out. Good luck my friend, and happy gaming in the mean time. You don't have to just read the Dell forums, check Notebook, etc. etc. You'll see others griping, and I don't blame them. But the machine could have waited a little longer for the proper gpu and ppu drivers, yes the physx processor is causing issues out there as well. I get emails on them as well. It's funny, I've been contacted over 70 times + now on Dell issues since Aug. 28, hence why I don't get to the forum as much. I just might open up my own tier 2 tech support for Dell. LOL I don't want to be in that category, trust me. I've had people email on issues that don't get resolved, or explained by customer service, so they think I do Dell work. That's the farthest thing from the truth. I actually like the home builds better, it's more challenging and keeps me sharp. The thing is, it actually shows that some are turning to other means of support, cuz they are tired of run arounds or escalated unresolved issues. I have to block my outgoing # most of the time.

XPS 600
Vista Home Premium 32 bit and Ubuntu 7.10 32 bit dual boot
Pentium D 955 Extreme 3.46 Ghz OC'able
4 Gigs of PNY Optima 667 Mhz PC5300
640 MB EVGA Geforce 8800 GTS
128 MB Ageia Physx PPU
320Gig SATA Vista,160Gig SATA , 500Gig WD MY BOOK
Thermaltake 5.25" bay fan controller/3-80mm modded extra fans/low rpm(noise factor)
Avermedia MCE500 TV dual tuner
Creative XIFI Extreme Music
G5 Logitech Gaming mouse, Wireless Logitech Rumblepad 2
2007WFP
One Happy Camper

XPS M140
XP Media Center 2005
Pentium M 760 2.0 Ghz
2 Gigs DDR2 533 Mhz
60 Gig 7200 RPM drive

Message Edited by WolverineMachine on 11-08-2007 04:38 PM

5 Posts

November 9th, 2007 06:00

No it pretty much locks up solid no matter what I run...
Certainly MediaDirect locks up, but solitaire, freecell... Internet Explorer lock up too!..

The most annoying part is, Dell knew about this issue before I even ordered the machine, but nothing was said..  My fault I suppose for not doing more research before buying......

5 Posts

November 9th, 2007 06:00

Hey WolverineMachine.. where were you before I ordered
You mention, or at least suggest there are other drivers around??.. Any idea where I might go looking for them?

Thanks heaps..

November 9th, 2007 11:00

I haven't hunted them down just yet, Anyone else got some sites for tweaked drivers?

XPS 600
Vista Home Premium 32 bit and Ubuntu 7.10 32 bit dual boot
Pentium D 955 Extreme 3.46 Ghz OC'able
4 Gigs of PNY Optima 667 Mhz PC5300
640 MB EVGA Geforce 8800 GTS
128 MB Ageia Physx PPU
320Gig SATA Vista,160Gig SATA , 500Gig WD MY BOOK
Thermaltake 5.25" bay fan controller/3-80mm modded extra fans/low rpm(noise factor)
Avermedia MCE500 TV dual tuner
Creative XIFI Extreme Music
G5 Logitech Gaming mouse, Wireless Logitech Rumblepad 2
2007WFP
One Happy Camper

XPS M140
XP Media Center 2005
Pentium M 760 2.0 Ghz
2 Gigs DDR2 533 Mhz
60 Gig 7200 RPM drive

November 12th, 2007 20:00

Oh yea....tried re-installing windows (Vista) clean, that in itself was a challenge as I had to disable the turbo cache in the bios so I could install!!!  Anyway still nfg. BTW I am now on hold to Dell service and been told how patient I am for 58...no 59 minutes now.

4 Posts

November 17th, 2007 22:00

I believe i have  a problem with m1730 to i bought it for gaming purpose i believe the sli do not work in the game ' world of conflict' because when i enable or disable the sli it makes no difference in the game.

11 Posts

November 28th, 2007 07:00

I guess nothing peeves me more than buying a "Gaming" system with SLI that doesn't work. I purchased mine several weeks ago and was seeing the same issues. When I contacted Dell support same thing, new drivers coming don't know when. My main issue was being sold a 64Bit system that Dell won't offer 64Bit support for ( as I actually want to see and use the 4Gb RAM they sold me). So I thought I'd give it a try, I've installed 64Bit Vista managed to find all the drivers including video from www.laptopvideo2go which I was told by a Dell support person to try. I now have a pretty stable system SLI works 3DMark06 score of 8600, I have run COD4, COD 2, Company of Heroes, Crysis, MOH Airborne, Graw 2 and all seems to go good but still hoping for optimized drivers. 

XPS M1730
Video Drivers Vista x64 version 164.02

11 Posts

I purchased the system with XP 32bit because I was concerned with game compatabilty of Vista but after seeing I couldn't access 700mB RAM I decided to take the plunge and go to Vista x64 did not even consider Vista 32 Bit been told it is very buggy with references made like "the new windows ME version". As far as drivers for video I tried just about every one that Laptopvideo2go had to offer a lot locked up my system but I settled with 169.02 for now until I get back to broadband access and try the next batch everything has been working well other than a couple of compatability issues with games but that is really due to Vista rather than video drivers. SLI is working very well with Vista x64 when I was running it on XP if I enabled it I would get screen flicker and lock ups occassionally but not on all games SLI was definately not working correctly hence the change to x64.
The other drivers were not very hard to find as most of the gear in the laptop is third party manufactured so you can usually get them from the manufacturer or the Dell website as they have just published the manufacturers drivers.

Message Edited by ricardo1978 on 11-28-2007 08:01 PM

5 Posts

That sound really, really promising!..
Did your 1730 lockup when enabling SLI when you were running 32bit Vista??
If so, and 64bit is behaving... I'm moving over to 64bit too.. Apart from the video driver, how did you go with other drivers for the machine??.. Easy to find?

16 Posts

December 14th, 2007 20:00

I found a solution to run SLI in the XPS 1730, it will require to remove the Dell driver and install a 'tweaked' Nvidia driver version 169.09, After replacing the driver I can run SLI and all the settings crank up in the video resolution and no game lockups so far, I made a guide for it with instructions, here's the link:

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_video&message.id=170204&jump=true#M170204

December 18th, 2007 06:00

Tnaks for the Guide, I may try it.

So u suggest installing Vista 64b version on a m1730? I bought it about 1 month ago and I am not happy with gaming results.
I tried with XP 32b and even the computer works better, when I talk about gaming it's still about same.
Only thing that keep me away of 64b versions is that you can create IDE virtual units with Daemon Tools Pro.

16 Posts

December 18th, 2007 13:00

This is what I know about SLI on the XPS M 1730, whenever you enable SLI your system will lock up but only after any of these are true:

1. You have Aero enabled (always enabled by default)

2. You open up a game program (Windows games included in Vista, ex, Spider Solitaire etc)

3. You have 32-bit color (default)

4. You are using the Dell Nvidia Driver version (file R167359.EXE) that's version 156.61 and it was released on 9/27/07. Most likely all the new 1730's come with this driver pre-installed by defaul.

5. If you increase the screen resolution to the max (1920 x 1200) the game window will lock up in a matter of seconds, when you try to close this game window (using Task Manager) the computer locks-up and the only way to recover is by holding down the power button to turn the system off and re-start again.

6. The performance driver 167.45 will not solve this. nor PC restore or formatting the hard drive with a clean install, so don't try any of those.

If you really want SLI enabled as a workaround while you wait for a newer driver from Dell or Nvidia you can try some of these steps:

A) Remove the video driver and install version 169.09 (I tried it and worked for me)

B) Disable Aero, not just transparency. (Easiest solution no crashes no need to update video drivers, but ugly solution isn't Aero another reason to get Vista?)

C) Change to 16-bit color (Another easy solution but you are giving up color quality)

D) Decrease the resolution (I haven't tried this my self for too long to tell, but it has same side effect as above, you are giving up screen space this time)

Message Edited by lbecerril on 12-18-2007 09:30 AM

70 Posts

December 25th, 2007 20:00

Hi Thank you so much for this thread. I downloaded and installed the new driver for XP and now my frame rate are much better and no more flickering in SLI mode. Thanks to this forum. Andre.

70 Posts

February 22nd, 2008 18:00

Kenfoster

I started a new thread about video drivers few days ago, just check it... here.

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=Tech_Talk_XPS_Laptop&message.id=6406&query.id=29249#M6406

I strongly suggest 169.61, very stable and perfect.
No Events found!