Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 26th, 2013 15:00

XPS l502x webcam issues

I purchased an XPS 15 about 2 years ago and everything has been great except the webcam. Now I don't use it very much but now I actually need to take a picture with it and its nothing but a problem. The first encounter I had with this thing was a while back when it wouldn't detect in windows, and after taking off the bezel I discovered that it wasn't adhering too well to that sticky metal conductor and after much toying it worked again without issue. Now yesterday I had to replace the bezel because it cracked and its giving me trouble again, but its weird because windows detects that the webcam is there but when I open up webcam central it works until I adjust the lid of the laptop and then it freezes and cuts out. I would think that its a hardware issue since it occurs when I move the lid but the thing is always detected in device manager so I don't see it losing a connection. I'm stumped and any input is appreciated. 

Thanks,

Zach 

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

June 26th, 2013 15:00

HI Zach1928,

This seems to be an issue with the webcam cable, please reseat the webcam cable referring to the owner’s manual using the link below.

http://bit.ly/QE7oQ7

In addition run the Dell PC diagnostics to check if the hardware is working fine. Please follow the steps below to run the diagnostics for webcam on the system.

1. Open the link http://dell.to/11MXNII

2. Select ‘Symptom under ‘Dell PC Diagnostics’.

3. Select ‘webcam ‘under ‘Diagnostic Selector.

4. Click on ‘Run Diagnostics’ button.

5. Let me know the results.

13 Posts

June 26th, 2013 16:00

Senthil, I haven't gotten a chance yet to take this apart to adjust the webcam cable but I ran the diagnostics and the webcam passed and the mic did not. However I opened my webcam central again and that had the same issue- there were yellow lines vertically across the image and then after adjusting the lid the picture froze so I'm assuming the cable is funky or the webcam unit itself. I think we've ruled out a software issue so I'll follow up again after I take this apart.

13 Posts

June 26th, 2013 22:00

Update: I got it working properly again; I peeled back the bezel on the top side and noticed that half of the pins that connect to the webcam werent fully inserted on one side so I guess they were coming loose.

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

June 27th, 2013 19:00

HI Zach1928,

Please send me the system service tag or express service code through a private chat, so that I can help you further.

Click on my username select start conversation and send me the details

No Events found!